Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

removing 4.8 and installing 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you didnt figure it out those times are w/o the spray!
Old 08-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Default Whatcha gonna do with the 4.8?

I am in the Atlanta area too (Woodstock) and might be interested in your 4.8 if it is for sale.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Default 4.8 to 6.0 swap

Originally Posted by OldNovaGuy
I am in the Atlanta area too (Woodstock) and might be interested in your 4.8 if it is for sale.
Unfortunatly the price the "bone yard" guy gave me for the 6.0 and 4L80 trans. was $2500 with my 4.8 and trans in trade, sorry old nova guy
Old 08-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TigerFan187
No problem 6.0! My best run with the 3.42's was 16.4 and that was in 90 degree weather with around 65% humidity(its bad in Louisiana and Texas!!) Two days after I got the 4.10's(and remember Im still peg leg and not having traction problems) and my best run was a 16.0 and the weather was basiclly exactly the same! I've been hitting 16.1's more than anything but weather is a dog here but Im reallly happy with my time vs. the mods I've done! The track gains were sweet but driving on the street is a blast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for the stat's TigerFan That will help me out when I change out my stock 342's to either 373 or 410
Old 08-05-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet setup, 6.0! I had similar questions a few months ago and was told the wiring is all the same. Not sure on the tranny tho. The 4.8 computer flash will drive your rig no problem. You can get a 6.0L flash from the dealer, sometimes for free if you are nice and/or bought from them. If you go custom tune I would not even worry about it then.
Good luck, let us know the results!
Old 08-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Default 4.8 to 6.0 swap

Originally Posted by ktmrider
Sweet setup, 6.0! I had similar questions a few months ago and was told the wiring is all the same. Not sure on the tranny tho. The 4.8 computer flash will drive your rig no problem. You can get a 6.0L flash from the dealer, sometimes for free if you are nice and/or bought from them. If you go custom tune I would not even worry about it then.
Good luck, let us know the results!
ktmrider, Thanks for that info,I have been worried about the difference in the wiring, I put an e mail into Speartech just to make sure, I also need to find out if the connectors and the fuel injectors are the same from the 4.8 to 6.0? any ideas Btw , I am planning on having it tuned (dyno) after it is all said and done, I also aquired the 6.0 pcm from the bone yard too.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 6.0 modified
ktmrider, Thanks for that info,I have been worried about the difference in the wiring, I put an e mail into Speartech just to make sure, I also need to find out if the connectors and the fuel injectors are the same from the 4.8 to 6.0? any ideas Btw , I am planning on having it tuned (dyno) after it is all said and done, I also aquired the 6.0 pcm from the bone yard too.
Should all be plug and play. The manifolds and setups on all the truck engines is the same, only difference being a deleted EGR mount on the 01+ intakes.
I'm getting psyched to finish mine next week and see the results of others! Keep us informed.
Old 08-06-2004, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm curious about the LSX intake...is that a truck specific intake or do you plan to do the mods required to make the lower "f-body" manifold fit? You will need to change mounting brackets & thermostat housings, and maybe a couple other items(?) to make it work on the truck if it isn't truck specific. Some guys on the forum have fiddled with it...some info here, but do a search to find more.
link
Old 08-06-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Yukonuba
I'm curious about the LSX intake...is that a truck specific intake or do you plan to do the mods required to make the lower "f-body" manifold fit? You will need to change mounting brackets & thermostat housings, and maybe a couple other items(?) to make it work on the truck if it isn't truck specific. Some guys on the forum have fiddled with it...some info here, but do a search to find more.
link
It's actually a little more involved than that. The entire water pump assembly from a car engine would need to be used due to the location of the upper radiator hose tube ( top/up on trucks, front/front on cars ). There are also issues with the TB location for cable length. Nothing that a little bit of extra engineering can't overcome but definitely not plug and play.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see alot of people go with the 4l80E over the 4l60E when swaping to a 6.0, is this a must? or will it just work out better?

Quick Reply: removing 4.8 and installing 6.0