Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Is removing all air from cooling system really necessary. ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2002, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is removing all air from cooling system really necessary. ?

I was reading on http://www.installuniversity.com/ that it was crucial to remove all air in the cooling system when installing a news t-stat. How would I do that in these(5.3/4.8) engines.

<small>[ July 07, 2002, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: shark_g ]</small>
Old 07-07-2002, 03:53 PM
Moderator / Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is removing all air from cooling system really necessary. ?

Air pockets are what kill coolant's ability to transfer heat. If you have air in the system and an "air pocket" should form somewhere in the head's water jacket, the area exposed to the air will not transfer heat from the metal surface and away with the coolant. Also the area which experience this event will boil the coolant as it passes the air pocket further creating a larger pocket. This drastically effects the cooling systems efficiency and will cause fluctuating coolant temps and erratic heating issues. In high performance applications this can lead to detonation.

From hat I remember I let my truck cool down separated the hoses and replaced the thermostat. I uncapped the radiator and replaced the coolant lost and proceeded to let the cooling system run with the cap open. It cycled a few time and it was full. I capped teh radiator and checked the level a few times and everything was good.

Richard
Old 07-07-2002, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is removing all air from cooling system really necessary. ?

Richard, so basically, after I put everything back, I just have to let is sit with the engine on the radiator uncapped. Doing this, it will let it cycle for a few moments and continue to add as needed. What about disconnectin the rubber hose that excets the throttle body and continue to add coolant untill it exits though threre. How has everybody with a 160 t-stat done it?