Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Removing intermediate steering shaft

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing intermediate steering shaft

I fancy myself a decent weekend mechanic, but nothing crazy. I've got an '02 Sierra 4x4 with some basic bolt on mods I've been able to do myself (Volant CAI, Airraid TBS, Flowmaster exhaust, Hypertech III tuner), and am now going for a set of Heddman Hedders...I knew this was going to be a full weekend job, but I'm on my 3rd day. Passenger side is complete, and the drivers side I got the exhaust manifold off, but in order to actually get it out, I need to remove the intermediate steering shaft (or move it). I've got everything marked, unbolted, and now I can't figure out how to get it out! Any of you 'real' mechanics mind helping me out with some advice? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:33 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC, there will be one 13mm bolt on the shaft under the hood, and one under the dash. Remove those bolts, then slide the shaft into the cab, and that should give you the room you need. It's been a long time since I had mine out, but I think that if you need to completely remove it, you slide it up and off of the knuckle to the gear box, then back down and out of the grommet in the firewall. Be sure to secure the steering wheel from spinning somehow, as it will want to turn and you run the risk of breaking the airbag clockspring if the steering wheel spins too far.

BTW, welcome to the site!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:35 AM

Okay, sounds like my Hayne's missed the part about the 13mm under the dash...For some reason my steering wheel won't lock, I ran the seat belt thru it and snugged it down; will this do the trick? Thanks, Billy!

Last edited by OBXFrank; 09-30-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:46 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OBXFrank
Okay, sounds like my Hayne's missed the part about the 13mm under the dash...For some reason my steering wheel won't lock, I ran the seat belt thru it and snugged it down; will this do the trick? Thanks, Billy!
Yea, I use the same seat belt trick I'm not 100% sure about the 13 under the dash as it's been a long time, but I *think* there's one there. You'll know as soon as you stick your head under there Hope this helps!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:48 AM

Cool, I appreciate it, Billy...neighbor's out there now telling me I'm an idiot for doing this myself when someone around here would've charged $300...He might be right, tho, haha. I'm on my way out there now to try to get this dang thing out! Thanks again!