Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Removing Rear Spring Block?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Rear Spring Block?

Ok, been reading about this. have some concerns though.

Removing the block below the leafs will give me my rear drop, but it is a suspension drop vs a body drop. Alignment changes the same either way correct because my body is moving down 2". Anything the shackle setup does for me that the block removal approach doesn't have?

Andrew
Old 04-13-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The block has something like 1º of angle correction built into it so that the pinion angle stays correct...after removal the pinion angle will still stay correct in relation to the driveshaft because the axle is moving up in relation to the body....the block removal is the better choice in my opinion
Old 04-13-2005, 06:52 PM
11 Second Club

what "block" are you talking about? try this instead if you aren't going to haul anything too heavy. remove the overload leafs. will drop the truck about an inch, will ride better, and you won't have to listen to them slapping the springs when you go over bumps. there is not a thing wrong with shackles either. regardless of what rear drop you do, it will not affect your alignment in a way that will wear your tires if that's what you were wondering. it may steer a bit quicker but that's about it.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm an idiot, admin can you delete this, I already have this question in the suspension section....no wonder I coudn't find it. Been a long day.

Here is the suspension one. I looked underneath and coudn't find a block on my 2wd
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...90#post2759090
Old 04-15-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2wd does not have the block you are refering to, only the 4wd models. BUT if you did have the 4wd yes the block would be a cheaper and better option IMHO. I do warn that it DOES change the front end alignment ( mostly caster and camber ) depending on how much you drop it. Unless you change the front by the exact same amount you would be wise to have the alignment adjusted after. I did the 2" shackle to level the ride height and scrubbed the inside of the front tires off ( lots of negative camber ). My bad tho for not doing the alignment....