Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Removing TB: anything I should be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
ya thats the cruise control cable, and its a bitch to get off.

Mine actually isnt even hooked back up because evidently there is a difference in that ***** size between years of throttle bodies, because my plastic hole was too small to fit over the larger **** on my p&p'd one.
That's good info, I have a spare tb that I'd like to send to Damian for the $55 p&p, and I'm not sure what year it's off of...if it's different I'll just swap it on temporarily and leave it unhooked, then send him my tb to be ported. When I get it back I'll be able to have everything hooked up. (not that I ever use my cruise control anyway, I just like to know that everything works as it should lol)

Sorry I'm not sure how that cable comes off GMCtrk, I haven't attempted mine yet. Hopefully someone here knows the trick to it...
Old 09-11-2008, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey bud, just so you know, Damien (Josh) doesn't polish the TB, just port. I'm really anxious to get this TB on but I don't know how to get that black piece off!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:08 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Port works for me
Old 09-11-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Success. I got the clip off. You have to lift up on both ends of the clip and pull the black plastic piece off the ****. DEFINITE throttle response improvement with the ported TB, I noticed it the first time I pressed the pedal.

I have a problem though. The TB is wanting to stick shut. When my foot is off the pedal and I go to press it takes much more force to open the TB compared to my stock one. What could be causing this? dammit.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:01 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

My truck had a problem with the tb sticking when it was new, turned out to be a warped throttle body. I diagnosed it and told the dealer about it and they replaced it under warranty...about a month later there was a TSB about it.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

dammit, that's not what I wanted to hear. How the heck could it get warped? I bought it used off a member here who said it was working perfectly fine.

Are there any other causes you can think of? A while back my stock TB was sticking like this. I sprayed some seafoam intake cleaner into it and it fixed the sticking problem. But, I took my TB off and it was NASTY. The entire backside was black with suit from the EGR. The TB I put on was so clean it looked new.

I'm going to try spraying some Deep Creep into the TB and see if that helps.

BTW, my intake is a f'ing MESS from the EGR. There is a nasty thick layer of suit as far as I can see in there

Last edited by GMCtrk; 09-11-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

New discovery, this is weird.

With the engine off, I press the pedal and the TB opens very smooth and nicely. The same if I go and open it by hand. Now turn the engine on and it takes much more force to open the TB. WTF? It's definitely not an issue of carbon buildup or anything becuase the pedal is super smooth with the truck off.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Get that EGR tuned out and put a block off plate on your exhaust manifold, and an expandable freeze plug works perfect to block off the EGR on the intake.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:48 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I'm guessing that the vacuum from the engine and incoming air pushing against the tb has something to do with it being harder to operate with the engine running.

As for how my tb got warped, I'm not sure, but it was a enough of a problem with the early NBS's that GM issued a TSB about it.

Is your linkage and accelerator cable OK? Maybe try disconnecting the cruise cable and seeing if the problem still exists.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont see why ppl dont do the tb bypass....When you turn the truck off at night the coolant doesnt stay hot...it can still freeze up. once you crank the motor the engine heat should unthaw it... Idunno though I dont live up north....

Quick Reply: Removing TB: anything I should be aware of?