Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Removing TB: anything I should be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GmOnEy Z71
I dont see why ppl dont do the tb bypass....When you turn the truck off at night the coolant doesnt stay hot...it can still freeze up. once you crank the motor the engine heat should unthaw it... Idunno though I dont live up north....
its more for if they're having snow or something and the air being sucked into the intake is really cold and moist, it can start to accumulate on the throttle blade and cause stickage. But if I lived up north, i would keep it on just because the gains seen from this mod are VERY VERY small. But if you live down in texas like me, theres really no point in having it on there.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I'm guessing that the vacuum from the engine and incoming air pushing against the tb has something to do with it being harder to operate with the engine running.

As for how my tb got warped, I'm not sure, but it was a enough of a problem with the early NBS's that GM issued a TSB about it.

Is your linkage and accelerator cable OK? Maybe try disconnecting the cruise cable and seeing if the problem still exists.
I was thinking something vacuum as well? Could it have to do with something due to the porting? My cables should be just fine. The pedal works perfectly when the truck is off. Hmm....
Old 09-11-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definently listening in. mine has the same problem. no p&p bt still does it.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Chevy all the way,

Spray some seafoam "deep creep" into your TB. That solved the sticking on my old TB which was due to carbon buildup. However, this is not the case for me currently. The TB I put in was so clean it looked new. It also opens effortlessly when the truck is off. I'm stumped.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pretiate it. gonna try this weekend
Old 09-14-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had to put the stock TB back on. I couldn't deal with the sticking anymore. But now I have an idiling problem. When I drive and come to a stop light my rpms will drop to 3-400 instead of the normal 500. I believe the computer is expecting more air than is coming in due to me having the ported TB prior. Will the computer learn and compensate for this?

edit: computer fixed the idle.

But my truck is a complete dog now With the cutout closed, the stock TB back on, and 1.5" taller tires (3.31 effective gear ratio) it just sucks

Last edited by GMCtrk; 09-14-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Open the throttle blade slightly by using the throttle screw. Maybe a 1/4 turn or so.

I used my much less than awesome MSPaint skills to show you what/where it is.

You can do it while it's off the truck. The "trick" thing to do, is to remove that Torx screw and install it from the other side. That way it is 10X easier to access when it's on the truck. I "think" it's a T-15 torx bit, but not 100% positive.

I'll all but guarantee this "cures" your problem...
Attached Thumbnails Removing TB: anything I should be aware of?-cimg1467.jpg  
Old 09-15-2008, 12:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Open the throttle blade slightly by using the throttle screw. Maybe a 1/4 turn or so.

You can do it while it's off the truck. The "trick" thing to do, is to remove that Torx screw and install it from the other side. That way it is 10X easier to access when it's on the truck. I "think" it's a T-15 torx bit, but not 100% positive.

I did that to mine as well because it was sticking too. Haven't had any problems since and its been a couple of years.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rel3rd

Gotcha, I'll try that! Thanks for the help

Michael
Old 09-15-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guys, got it fixed. It was exactly what rel3rd said. The idle screw is indeed a T-15. I inverted the screw and raised it a bit. It took me several adjustments but now the pedal is smooth as can be. The idle went up to about 600 from 500. No big deal. I love this forum.

Quick Reply: Removing TB: anything I should be aware of?