Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Removing TB: anything I should be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I also wanted to add that this is hands down the BEST mod you can do for $55. The difference over the stock TB is night and day. I absolutely love this ported TB.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good deal.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

arggg....the problems never end. I now have some kind of faint squealing noise when I get on it around 1700 rpm? I'm fed up. I guess I'll have to put the stock TB on and see if the noise is still there or not.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Sorry to bring this one back up, but I wanted to add something that I found out recently.

On my 2000 Camaro SS, about a year ago, I swapped in a camshaft.
In the meantime, while waiting to get tuned, I tried drilling the throttle blade to get the car to hold an idle. It helped, but did indeed cause a few issues when trying to tune the car. But when all was said and done, car idled well, and ran 11.60-11.70's naturally aspirated.

Fast forward to about 7 months ago...
I ported the stock throttle body myself, and also inverted the throttle blade stop screw, for no real reason other than I had the TB off the car. I rarely drive the car, so any problems that arise are sometimes are hard to detect, or figure out.

A few drives in the car later, and idle started hanging up for apparently no reason. After several re-flashes (I have HPTuners for car and truck and sometimes get advice from an LS1tech sponsor), the hanging idle, and cam surge, would ALWAYS return to show it's ugly head.

I put up a thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989390

My logged IAC counts were very low and on a whim, and after a very basic answer to my thread, I re-installed the throttle blade screw and idle is rock solid like it was back before I inverted the screw.

It seems that due to me drilling the throttle blade hole out and the inverted screw not allowing a closed enough setting, the car's idle was both hanging up until stopping, and surging when stopped or idling around. It was getting "too much" air and I couldn't "tune" that out, no matter what I tried.

Just wanted to share...

BTW, Saturday at work I was bored, so I finally ported the truck's throttle body too. Actually turned out better than the one on my car, so I'll re-do that one soon. Anyway, truck idles great and as expected, surely is more responsive to throttle changes. Thusfar, there hasn't been a need to make any tune changes for it either. Still strongly opinionated that it's one of the best bang for the buck mods out there...For me, doing it myself, it's a no-brainer.

Free Mods for the win!