Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Returnless Fuel Module Observations

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:27 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I put the module back in the tank after testing it again. I didn't run it very long before because of all the spray at higher pressures. Looks like there will be plenty of fuel in the bucket(it was overflowing) with the venturi pump restored so that the pump will be assured of performing at its full potential. Of course in a returnless system you still have to address the issue of line pressure drop. This is affected by factors such as fuel line length, diameter, wall smoothness, restrictions and bends.

One way to restore the venturi drive feature of this module would be to T into the outlet tube from the pump and just run a 1/8" O.D. nylon line tapped into the venturi drive tube on the bottom of the bucket. You could probably use something like this http://store.summitracing.com/defaul....asp&x=34&y=12
along with a 1/8" MPT X 1/16" I.D. hose barb fitting. You would also need a short piece of SAE J30R10 fuel hose, likely a new flex hose and the appropriate hose clamps for each.

Last edited by DrX; 03-04-2006 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:57 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudAzzLoStepside
i agree. so are we of the correct assumption that the 03+ fuel system design on 5.3 trucks, is flawed? anyone willing to bite the bullet and buy a 6.0 module to test?

I really dont think so....There are thousands of these systems out and running great with this set up. I would belive that there is an issue with indiviual trucks before I belived that an entire truck line is bad. I still stand firm in my statement that there is an install issue or mechanical/electrical problem with your set up.

The 5.3 and 6.0 truck fuel module is the same, however the SUV line does have a different module.

I am 99% sure that there is a TSB for the fuel module harness. There was an issue with a bad ground, or lead that was causing multiple pump failures.

Allthough I think DrX's findings are interesting, I feel that the "fix" is covering up an underlying manufacture issue. There is NO way that a vehice is using ALL of the fuel in the line at WOT.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:08 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
There is NO way that a vehice is using ALL of the fuel in the line at WOT.
I agree there has to be some fuel being spilled back into the module, because the full output of the pump is definitely not making it to the rails.

I think the 04+ modules function well in the OEM configuration. Can't blame GM for anything there. There could be an electrical issue as well. I ran new heavy gauge wiring to the pump just in case.

Although it is commonly done, putting more holes in the bucket is last thing I would do. It's a major compromise.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:40 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whats the diffrence in the suv vise the trucks? which is better
Old 12-12-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the bucket was going dry, then a possible fix could be to make the bucket bigger. Easier said than done I'm sure....

Jim
Old 12-12-2006, 10:24 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 4.8T
whats the diffrence in the suv vise the trucks? which is better
The impression I get is that the truck modules perform a little better. Haven't seen one up close but it looks like the regulator setup is different. If the venturi pump is driven off the regulator rather than the pump, then you wouldn't lose that important feature of the factory module by upgrading to a Walbro. I would like to see some pics of the module and stock pump out of a truck.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:34 PM
12 Second Truck Club

mines going into my 04 tahoe what should i be on the look out for and what do i need to do yo make it work best? would like 400awdhp. i don't think its too far of a goal.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:52 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
If the bucket was going dry, then a possible fix could be to make the bucket bigger. Easier said than done I'm sure....

Jim
I added on to my bucket where I removed the factory filter. Added maybe .75L.
Adding another flapper valve on the bottom might help the bucket fill faster also.

Have to be careful what materials you use though. Teflon, nylon and high density polyethylene(HDPE) are OK. Any material used for the flapper will also have to be alcohol and gasoline resistant and have an acceptable operating temperature range.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:10 PM
12 Second Truck Club

not to sure how i would make one of those. didn't you say you hooked something to something else and it filled the bucket better. or something like that.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:29 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 4.8T
mines going into my 04 tahoe what should i be on the look out for and what do i need to do yo make it work best? would like 400awdhp. i don't think its too far of a goal.
Primarily, I would try to maintain the venturi pump feature that keeps the bucket filled at all times as well as going to a high flow pump. Exactly what you need depends on the design of the module. I see MU1342 for 04 Avalanches and MU1341 for 04 Tahoes. Don't know what the diff is. If I look up a Silverado 2500 I see at least half a dozen different modules listed including these two.

Or you could leave the factory pump alone and A) go to a returnless inline booster/controller setup
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=379440
or B) an external booster pump/surge tank/FPR setup.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=379763

Quick Reply: Returnless Fuel Module Observations