Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Reversing Electric Fan Motors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reversing Electric Fan Motors?

I bought an electric fan from a Volvo, it was described as a "reversable fan"... where as you can make it be a pusher or a puller.... However, the fins of the fan are made to push air from the engine bay out through the radiator. I know this is the wrong direction for our trucks so i thought maybe if i switched the pos and neg wires that it would spin in the opp. direction. Well it doesnt and know im not sure how i reverse the polarity of the motor to make it become a puller... to pull air from the outside through the radiator.

Its all wired up and ready to go and this damn fan is rated at like 3900 cfms and its a 16" Single fan. It moves a WHOLE bunch of air.. if it were spinning correctly it would beneift me even more i know. So any help would be appreciated.

I have it wired up on a sensory thermostat that kicks on the fans at 170* and i have a 180* thermo i just installed today as well... If i can get the fans to spin the right way, i'll take some pics... but right now i have wires everywhere and i need to make them so that they are connections instead of wires held togetther with tape... but im trying to find out if i need to buy a new fan all togetther or what.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-05-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

switch the polarity...ground the input, apply power to the output, and that will switch things around.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

to put it simply you mean to switch the current pos and negatives?
Old 06-05-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i believe that's what he means, and as far as i know, that's how fans work.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

ya ive tried that and it doesnt work... i guess these things werent meant to be switched around.
Old 06-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Teching In

on my zirgo fan you had to flip the blade over and switch the wires to switch from pusher to puller
Old 06-05-2005, 06:27 PM
Banned

you also may beable to switch the blades
Old 06-05-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Junkie

the blades dont turn around... its a molded piece and if you turn it around it wont fit. Idk, im asking the guy i bought it from... bc there is a third wire connected to another harness... i thought maybe it was something that volvo had hooked up so the fans kicked on if the tranny got too hot.. but now im thinking that maybe it will reverse than fans...

see there is a box with a computer chip in it coming off the fan that may not let me switch it... heres the auction i got it from. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33600
Old 06-05-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

The third wire will probably not switch the polarity of the fans. Are you sure it doesn't work when you connect a positive wire to the negative output of the fan, and the ground wire to the positive of the fan? If you've got the *****, open the assembly and switch the motor around OR just mount it the other way.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Junkie

i was thinking about switching the wires at the motor around.. but they are black and white.. not red and black... and whats weird is that the red is neg. and the black is pos. so something fishy is going on.. but i contacted the seller.. so we'll see whats up in a day or so.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Reversing Electric Fan Motors?