Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Reversing Electric Fan Motors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 08:29 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned, changing the polarity at the motor itself will reverse the direction of the motor...unless for some reason Volvo put some sort of diode on the ground side

All of the electric motors in our vehicles work this way...window motors, antenna motors, etc. Pos and Neg in one direction makes the window go up, reverse polarity and the window comes down
Old 06-05-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya... thats why it bugged me that it wouldnt work when i simply just switched them around.. so im thinking im going to switch the wiring at the motor and see what happens.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:02 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set of fans out of a volvo they worked good but they draw so many amps.Have you noticed that yet.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya... it draws A LOT of power...like if your driving at nite, you can tell when they go on bc the lights will dim for a sec. Its okay tho.. they blow like a mother. Are yours spinning clockwise? (the way they should, lol)

I just drove it for 30 mins straight to try to get the fans to kick on.. i mean i was driving it hard. Shifting on the column and lets the rpms get to 6400rpms on each shift, lol and hit well over 100 on the interstate for most of the half hour.. and i came home shut it off and still no fans.. so i started it back up and let it idle for 20 mins and the temps shot up a tad, the fans kicked on, and it cooled right back down in like 2 mins. For spinning the "wrong" way.. they sure as hell work pretty good. (its only like 70* tonite here) But, after i shut off the truck after that, it stood on for 3 mins and than shut off. and you could feel the air shooting out of the engine bay and it felt cold after a while. So idk... maybe its okay.. i really would like them to spin correctly, lol.