Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Roadmaster active suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadmaster active suspension?

Anyone using their helper-spring product?

http://www.activesuspension.com/index.htm

I'm looking for some additional load capacity out back... these look like the only product with little to no side-effects, and they're the easiest to adjust.

EDIT: Oh yeah, to make this performance related - they're supposed to help stop wheel-hop.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

The travel-trailer crowd loves these things. I guess they were on a few of those TNN motorhead-garage shows too.

I put an order in for a set of the standard duty units.

I'm quoting this from one site I ran across...

A major part of the question would be how often you tow with the truck. While Roadmaster does claim their product doesn't make the ride any more harsh, after selling their products for three years I know it is possible to have that happen.

Roadmaster's engineer recommends "any truck overloaded or towing heavy loads should use the 'XX' kit."

Our experience has shown the XXF kits have an advantage when consistently towing a heavy load. However, when the truck is empty you'll start to get "bounce" in the rear at higher speeds or encounter bumpy roads. This is due to the higher rate of spring pressure in the XXF kits; which are actually designed for the 7,000 plus pound 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. The XXF kits will actually raise the height of the rear of the truck on most 1/2 tons due to the RAS kit spring strength of 1200 psi. Have seen a Chevrolet truck raised as much as 4" when empty.

Provided you tow one or two weeks a month and then drive the truck without a trailer you'll most likely prefer the XF kit. It provides a noticeable improvment in driving characteristics, such as better traction on acceleration or braking, less body roll in turns, less nose dive in braking or acceleration, without being too strong for the 1/2 ton trucks when they are empty.

We use the XF kit (which has a 900 psi spring) on a 2001 Ford Ranger EDGE PLUS which tows a 24' 4" enclosed car hauler that weighs 4200 pounds empty and 7400 pounds when loaded. We increased the installed spring setting from 1mm to 1.5mm so the trailer tongue and rear of the truck remain level with 700 pounds of tongue weight.

The XF kits usually end up about $206.00-210.00 for the kit and ground shipping. The XXF kits are generally about $245.00-255.00 with shipping. When they start getting shipped to California, Oregon, Alaska, the shipping can get upward of $20.00 for ground shipping. When ordering online there is a direct connection with FedEx during checkout to show the options for shipping and what the cost is based on our ship from address and your ship to address.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

I've seen these before, don't they help with towing/holding heavy loads in the truck?
Old 06-24-2004, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

I have them on my SCSS '00 truck to help wheel hop and they completely eliminated my wheel hop issues. They are easily installed and definitely help. This solution looked like an inexpensive alternative to Cal trac setups. For approx $180-$200 they can't be beat.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

X, yeah, Roadmaster is kind of cryptic on them. They don't really call them a helper spring, and they say they don't help ADD capacity to the bed of your truck... they claim that these will help your truck handle, and handle the load, when you DO have something in the bed... if that makes any sense.

They're also supposed to add anti-sway abilities, and help with the wheel-hop issues on 2wd's.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Are you planning to order these soon?
Old 06-24-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Yup, did that last night... I should have them in not this Saturday, but the next.

I'll be towing the family's travel trailer out for a vacation all week, after the fourth. I'll definitely report back...
Old 06-30-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

I got the springs tonight, and tossed them in. I honestly only gave them a shakedown run for a mile up the street and back, and then backed up to the travel trailer.

From what I can tell on the road -- these things are incredible. Immediate impressions: Rear of the truck is stiffer, but not stiffer. A better explaination: The rear suspension is still compliant, but much more composed. It handles rough roads better. It handles corners MUCH better. The truck follows the contours of the road MUCH BETTER. I'll leave it at that until I get more seat-time tomorrow.

Dropping ~500+lbs of tongue weight on the receiver -- No huge difference, honestly. The truck seemed to sit a LITTLE higher, but not a whole lot. They're not really designed to work like a traditional helper spring, so I can't complain.

(I was hoping these springs would help the truck support the tongue weigth of the camper better... The rear of the truck sagged, and the front of the truck rose up. If the springs didn't help level things out, my only other option is to go out and spend $400+ dollars on a weight-distributing hitch... which is half of a freakin cam-swap. GRRR.)

The truck does sit higher in the back. Maybe about .75 to 1" higher. I'm surprised I don't mind the look at all. I kind of like it better.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

man i use sway/equalizer bars on my 03 4x4. and from pulling my 30ft travel trailer without them to actually getting them and using them. I makes towing ALOT easier. truck stays level and even in 60mph winds the camper never moved on me!!