Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

roller rocker noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default roller rocker noise

I just installed my roller rockers yesterday, when I was ajusting them one of the lifters started to compress, on all of the other rockers the spring statred to compress before the lifter did, so for that rocker I just ajusted it till I thought it was zero tollerance, becuase the lifters are oil filled and stiffen up when theres oil pressure right???? So I started it up and I am hearing a tapping noise that increases with RPM you cant hear it inside the truck or if you have the hood closed just standing over the engine I drove the truck home from my uncles house about 20 miles and I was even brave enough to take it over 6k rpm a couple times and nothing happened. Im not sure if that lifter was bad, or I misajusted a rocker arm, I also heard that roller rockers are louder than stock, any ideas or similar experiances im not sure where to look fist or if there is even a problem in there. The truck has 30k on it I just installed the cam bout 2 weeks ago and the rockers are comp pro magnum 1.75s with 918 springs.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

i installed 1.75 pro magnums also i had a loud ticking noise too.....one of the rockers was a little loose and it fixed it...they are hardly louder than my stock lifters though..
Old 03-18-2008, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rocker don't make noise. They just rock. No they do NOT make more noise than stock ones. If you continue to tighten the poly-lock AFTER you "feel" the spring in the lifter(not the valve spring) begin to compress you're past ZERO LASH. On OEM lifters you're supposed to go about 1/2 or 3/4s of a turn past zero lash, but I use Comp Rs and with them you stop at zero. You should only hear ticking for the first couple of minutes when the engine is started for the first time allowing enough time for the lifters to pump up. After that the noise should go away. If it doesn't you have to redo the lash adjustment because you left one too loose. Check all 16.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Rocker don't make noise. They just rock. No they do NOT make more noise than stock ones. If you continue to tighten the poly-lock AFTER you "feel" the spring in the lifter(not the valve spring) begin to compress you're past ZERO LASH. On OEM lifters you're supposed to go about 1/2 or 3/4s of a turn past zero lash, but I use Comp Rs and with them you stop at zero. You should only hear ticking for the first couple of minutes when the engine is started for the first time allowing enough time for the lifters to pump up. After that the noise should go away. If it doesn't you have to redo the lash adjustment because you left one too loose. Check all 16.
I tightend them all by hand like the instrucions said then tightend them the 1/2 turn like it said but my valve springs compressed not the lifters I didnt think that was right so I just tightened them to where it started to put pressure on the spring but not opening the valve. They were all like that except for that one oddball one, that one as i was tightening the ajusment nut with my fingers it was compressing the lifter spring I could also push on the push rod and it compressed the lifter. Im gona pull the covers back off this weekend and recheck them, the noise seems alot quiter now. I just have a feeling that lifter was bad.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Is it possible that I compressed the lifter springs by just hand tightening the lock nut???????? Are they that easy to compress
Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Not the lock nut, but certainly by the polylock. This happens on some lifters, but not on others and it's quite arbitrary. This usually happens after the engine has been idle for a while. The lifters are no longer "pumped up" and one might compress as you tighten the polylock. This is another thing you have to "feel" for as you tighten the poly lock. You have to "feel" for zero lash AND you have to "feel" for the lifter to start to compress. Most will not, but you have to be VERY sensitive to this subtle change in the way the poly lock "feels" as you tighten it down. If you have reached zero lash and you continue to turn and you sense that the lifter sping is being compressed you have gone too far. I realize this is a very minute change, but you MUST be aware of it if you are going to deal with adjustable rockers as you have chosen to do. You have stepped into the realm of no longer being just a grease monkey. Do your hands and fingers have the sensitivity to "feel" this subtle changes. If not your engine will tell you it's time to open her up again for more surgery.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:42 AM
On The Tree

lol yah my hands arent all calused up yet to where they have no feeling im still young. Well im gona give it another try ajusting them, 2nd times a charm. thank for the advice.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have the same rockers and had the same problem adjusting mine for the first time. Just one of them was compressing the lifter spring. After initial start up, It was ticking and I suspected that problem lifter. Second time was a charm. Exactly as "eallanboggs" stated I readjusted that rocker using higher finger sensitivity(concentration) and the ticking sound was gone. Certainly not as easy as just torquing down on the stock rockers, just requires more patience thats' all.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

I did think of one way the lock nut could change your poly lock adjustment. Once the poly lock is set and it's time to fix it in place with the set screw you use the allen wrench to tighten down the set screw. You should hold the poly lock with the wrench you made the poly lock adjustment with during the set screw tightening process. If you don't you may end up turning the poly lock(changing your adjustment) along with the set screw as you tighten it. I don't know if you skipped this step or not. The poly locks are sort of a throwback to the days of solid lifters. Someone who does the top end on a alcohol or fuel funny car or dragster could do your poly lock adjustment in their sleep. If you're not used to this adjustment just take your time. You're using your index finger to "feel" when the pushrod reaches zero lash as well as the hand that is holding the wrench to turn the polylock with to "feel" the lifter spring begin to compress. Once you pass zero lash and you realize the spring in the lifter has begun to compress you should back off the poly lock and start over, but this time you make SURE you stop once you hit zero lash without going past it(in your case you add about 1/2 turn extra).
Old 03-19-2008, 02:28 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Not the lock nut, but certainly by the polylock. This happens on some lifters, but not on others and it's quite arbitrary. This usually happens after the engine has been idle for a while. The lifters are no longer "pumped up" and one might compress as you tighten the polylock. This is another thing you have to "feel" for as you tighten the poly lock. You have to "feel" for zero lash AND you have to "feel" for the lifter to start to compress. Most will not, but you have to be VERY sensitive to this subtle change in the way the poly lock "feels" as you tighten it down. If you have reached zero lash and you continue to turn and you sense that the lifter sping is being compressed you have gone too far. I realize this is a very minute change, but you MUST be aware of it if you are going to deal with adjustable rockers as you have chosen to do. You have stepped into the realm of no longer being just a grease monkey. Do your hands and fingers have the sensitivity to "feel" this subtle changes. If not your engine will tell you it's time to open her up again for more surgery.
Nice....that sums it up in a nutshell.

Quick Reply: roller rocker noise