Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

roller rocker noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 200 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
This happens on some lifters, but not on others and it's quite arbitrary. This usually happens after the engine has been idle for a while. The lifters are no longer "pumped up" and one might compress as you tighten ...
How long is "a while" ? Mine has been noisy since the beginning, and I am ready to adjust them. I have type r pro rollers and the engine builder told me he set them at 1/2 to 3/4 turns after zero, then I read on Comp Cams and then here zero lash.
I ask how long, because it will take me awhile to get the blower off for right-bank access after I warm the motor up.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

??????????????
Old 06-20-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Veteran

I called Comp Cams today to ask about noise, and he said that my noise is coming from my Comp 875-16 lifters. He said these anti-pump up lifters are noisier.
I still have not checked my lash.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
How long is "a while" ? Mine has been noisy since the beginning, and I am ready to adjust them. I have type r pro rollers and the engine builder told me he set them at 1/2 to 3/4 turns after zero, then I read on Comp Cams and then here zero lash.
I ask how long, because it will take me awhile to get the blower off for right-bank access after I warm the motor up.
I had a ticking noise when I first started it up after installing the rockers, after driving the truck home from my uncles house and parking it for the night I started it the next morning the noise was gone. What I think happened was I let the truck sit for a while working on it, then started it and one of the lifters was compressed a little by the rocker arm prolly from doing the 1/2 turn after zero lash as ellanboggs stated. When I drove it home from my uncles the increased oil pressure pumped the lifter up and it was fine I had the valve covers off a few weeks ago to install the blower and I checked the rockers while they were off none were loose. In my opinion I think roller rockers are louder than stock. I belive the instructions for the lifters said 1/2 turn past 0 I only had a problem with one lifter it was not pumped up as I was trying to ajust the rocker for that lifter the lifter was compressing by just turning the ajustment nut with my 2 fingers but I could still feel a little resistance from the lifter compressing so I just went 1/2 turn past where I could feel that resistance and it worked fine, I have stock lifters though.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With comp Rs you stop at zero lash. With the OEMs people go an extra 1/2 to 3/4 turn. As your tightening the polylock you must use the sensitivity in your fingertip to "feel" the exact moment the rocker snugs up against the pushrod which then becomes snug against the lifter. Your rotating the pushrod back and forth as you turn the polylock to "feel" when this happens. This is when you STOP turning. If you continue to turn the "feel" will be just a little bit different. You will "feel" the lifter spring begin to compress if it is not pumped up(a pumped up lifter will have more resistance to the pushrod as you slowly turn the polylock). If you "feel" this subtle change in resistance as you turn the polylock you've gone to far if you're using Rs. I hope this explaination helps because this is the type of thing that is better done hands on rather than reading about it.