Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
OH GOD WHY!!! I want a simulated cam!!
thank you!!
i want to be like the guys on horsepower tv and spend $500 and get 5 hp
Old 04-27-2006, 11:30 PM
5 year bitches!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive seen it many times on the mustang sites, now seeing it here. they arent worth it, unless youre doing a under the radar setup and want to keep the stock cam
Old 04-28-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by stone150
i don't get adjustable anything, i'm too paranoid it won't be right if i touch it.
Just make sure you have a quality torque wrench and torque the rockers down to 22 ft lbs evenly. No more no less. That is the specified torque.

Jim
Old 04-28-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Just make sure you have a quality torque wrench and torque the rockers down to 22 ft lbs evenly. No more no less. That is the specified torque.

Jim
Theres a liittle more to it than that with an adjustable rocker.
Old 04-28-2006, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Arent needed. I wont run an adjustable rocker on an LS motor. Ever.
When I put forth my question, I expected a reasonably thought out response as to why stockers are better and why non-adjustable is better. This answer is not what I expect from a "knowledgeable" enthusiast. I admitted from the outset that I am not too bright,but I expected more than "just because" or "because I say so". I want some of your valuable education to enlighten me. All I know is that my Crane rockers made a lot more than 5 HP. I bought them at Vinci's and I have been there when he has run the dyno after a rocker/spring install and picked up 23 hp! All of his customers that I know of have been quite satisfied. You must think that a 1.7 rocker is a 1.7 rocker and that body design and geometry have nothing to due with area under the valve lift curve. If you would set up a couple of dial indicators (one on the pushrod side of a rocker and one on the valve spring retainer) and install a degree wheel and plot lift vs crank rotation curve for a few different rockers (and calculate the effective rocker ratio at each data point), you might actually pick up some knowledge (at least more than you do on this website reading bs from people who are bashing products they have never tried). If you repeated this exercise you would even find out that changing pushrod length without changing the rocker affects area under the valve lift curve. Having never done that you probably don't believe it, but having done it myself, I know it is a fact and very significant.

The bottom line is that the Crane adjustable "quick lift" rockers really work and produce the power Vinci claims. If you have valid data to the contrary (not the same old "my buddy told me") post it so everyone can be enlightened!
Old 04-28-2006, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Theres a liittle more to it than that with an adjustable rocker.
I was directing my advise towards the non-adjustable roller rockers.

Jim
Old 04-28-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by QuietTahoe
When I put forth my question, I expected a reasonably thought out response as to why stockers are better and why non-adjustable is better. This answer is not what I expect from a "knowledgeable" enthusiast. I admitted from the outset that I am not too bright,but I expected more than "just because" or "because I say so". I want some of your valuable education to enlighten me. All I know is that my Crane rockers made a lot more than 5 HP. I bought them at Vinci's and I have been there when he has run the dyno after a rocker/spring install and picked up 23 hp! All of his customers that I know of have been quite satisfied. You must think that a 1.7 rocker is a 1.7 rocker and that body design and geometry have nothing to due with area under the valve lift curve. If you would set up a couple of dial indicators (one on the pushrod side of a rocker and one on the valve spring retainer) and install a degree wheel and plot lift vs crank rotation curve for a few different rockers (and calculate the effective rocker ratio at each data point), you might actually pick up some knowledge (at least more than you do on this website reading bs from people who are bashing products they have never tried). If you repeated this exercise you would even find out that changing pushrod length without changing the rocker affects area under the valve lift curve. Having never done that you probably don't believe it, but having done it myself, I know it is a fact and very significant.

The bottom line is that the Crane adjustable "quick lift" rockers really work and produce the power Vinci claims. If you have valid data to the contrary (not the same old "my buddy told me") post it so everyone can be enlightened!
That 23hp increase claim could have a lot of different variables that you left out. Different applications net different HP increases.
Are you saying, if I remove my valve covers and place Vinci's adjustable roller rockers in the place of the stock ones I will gain about 23 HP??? I doubt it.
It all comes down to specific applications to achieve those increases.
For some people, the adjustable roller rockers could end up as a nightmare. There are many guys here that are not knowledgeable to being able to adjust
those correctly. It takes time and patients to do this and the use of specific tools.
That's why we recommend the non-adjustable ones to many guys here. It still works out nicely compared to the adjustable ones. The non-adjustable roller rockers are still a great mod over stock.

Jim
Old 04-28-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by QuietTahoe

Are you a salesman for Crane or Vinci??? Sounds like you read this from a brochure!!
Old 04-28-2006, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Vinci is a good friend and I hang out at his place a lot. I've watched a lot of testing there and talked with a lot of his other customers. I've done a lot of engine building and testing in my time, but I have his guys do the work on my truck because they are extremely competent and I don't especially like working on it that much in the Florida heat. As for the 23 hp increase, it is virtually always a 20-23 hp increase any time the stock rockers (1.7) are replaced with the Crane 1.8s. The valve springs usually have to be replaced on this change over because the added lift puts the stock springs too close to coil bind. My whole point is that not all rockers are designed the same way. In many cases, with other rockers, there is only a 4 or 5 hp increase, but that is because of the effective ratio of the rocker at various places in its operating arc. That is a function of rocker body designs. This is just applied geometry and all it takes to understand it is a little motivation. There is real horsepower here.

I am amazed at the attitude on this site that all of the power comes from the lobe profile and the area under the lift curve of the cam lobe design. What is really important is the area under the valve lift curve. With all of the flexing of the pushrod, and the various operating arcs of the different brands of rocker arms, all of this concentration on the lobe design is relatively moot. What counts is what happens at the valve. Being concerned about what happens at the lobe is not at all unlike going out and buying a great stereo receiver and then playing the music through cheap speakers; or going out and buying a Nikon camera body and cheaping out and buying a Vivatar lens. If you really want to make power, you must look at what is really happening at the valve, not what you hope is happening because of your lobe design and theoretical calculations of a "theoretical fixed ratio rocker". I'm just put off by people making comments about any product (Crane or any other brand)when they haven't tried it. Just because one brand of rocker doesn't produce a power increase doesn't mean that another brand can't. Too many people on this site spout off about something without any sustantive data and then this stuff keeps getting quoted as fact, when all it really is is bs!

I don't mean to sound "high and mighty", I certainly don't know it all,,,nobody does, but I've been at this a lot of years with a lot of top notch people. I'm just stating things the way I see them based on facts as I know them.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
I was directing my advise towards the non-adjustable roller rockers.

Jim
Ah, sorry.

I wanna see a dyno sheet for these magic 30hp rockers. Kinda like Granatellis 50 or what the **** ever HP from a MAF and plug wires... Most reputable cam grinders dont necessitate the use of 1.8 "QUICK LIFT" rockers with their cams anyway. I wanted more lift, I got a cam. Simple. Why waste that much money on a rocker......... When you can get a cam? WHY? A rocker will only do so much for you. Then if you go for a cam with a substantial amount of lift.. Guess what. Rockers go to eBay. Lot of trouble, time and money just to gain a minimal amout of lift with a STOCK CAM. Makes no sense. Id buy Jesel SS's before I got Cranes.......

I am not an expert nor do I play one on TV. But I hang out at Comp Cams factory all the time..............

"The bottom line is that the Crane adjustable "quick lift" rockers really work and produce the power Vinci claims. If you have valid data to the contrary (not the same old "my buddy told me") post it so everyone can be enlightened!"

Post that dyno sheet!! Or climb down off the soap box. Enlighten us or me please. Wheres your valid data? I see a bunch of "I watched", "I see" and Roger Vinci says."

Last edited by 99Silver6.0; 04-28-2006 at 11:05 PM.

Quick Reply: roller rockers