Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stone150
i don't think a roller tip does anything but i think the roller rest of it would, compared to just rocking
Well.........actually your factory rockers do have roller bearings for the pivot points, just the tips are not.
If QuietTahoe statement is true, then there isn't really any decreased parastatic drag on the valvetrain. The benefit of aftermarket roller rockers would be added strength.
Then what was the reason for using a roller tipped rocker??? Anyone??
The Jesel units look stronger than most roller rockers out on the market.
Though the cost of them tells why.

Jim

Jim
Old 05-01-2006, 09:57 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't want to get in the middle of the war here, but I figured I'd just show you what I've got and what I've learned from them. Here's a shot of my Harland Sharp 1.7's for ya...I went with em "just because". (had some coin at the time and wanted to try em out...plus, I thought that one or two of my stockers were a little worn at the fulcrum...they weren't). Did I feel any performance gains? Nah. Maybe I gained some piece of mind because they're supposed to be good product that can take abuse from what I've read, or maybe I blew $360. So far they haven't given me any problems that I can tell and the installation was straight forward. From what I've read here though, the stock rockers can take quite a bit of abuse (I believe there were some problems with the 98-99's falling apart at the fulcrum and puking needle bearings, but I think that's been remedied), and with the right length push rod, they're just bolt, torque, and go.

I did have to grind little notches in the head on the push-rod side of the rockers to provide some extra clearance...they looked really close and I wasn't taking any chances...no biggie.

The folks who have the Crane/Vinci rockers and have them set up properly seem to be very happy with them, especially when they're paired with a Crane/Vinci cam.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I don't want to get in the middle of the war here, but I figured I'd just show you what I've got and what I've learned from them. Here's a shot of my Harland Sharp 1.7's for ya...I went with em "just because". (had some coin at the time and wanted to try em out...plus, I thought that one or two of my stockers were a little worn at the fulcrum...they weren't). Did I feel any performance gains? Nah. Maybe I gained some piece of mind because they're supposed to be good product that can take abuse from what I've read, or maybe I blew $360. So far they haven't given me any problems that I can tell and the installation was straight forward. From what I've read here though, the stock rockers can take quite a bit of abuse (I believe there were some problems with the 98-99's falling apart at the fulcrum and puking needle bearings, but I think that's been remedied), and with the right length push rod, they're just bolt, torque, and go.

I did have to grind little notches in the head on the push-rod side of the rockers to provide some extra clearance...they looked really close and I wasn't taking any chances...no biggie.

The folks who have the Crane/Vinci rockers and have them set up properly seem to be very happy with them, especially when they're paired with a Crane/Vinci cam.
My brother 2001 GMC Z71 dropped some roller rocker needles. It came out with the drain plug magnet. About three of them.
So you have to clearance the heads for the aftermarket roller rockers??

Jim
Old 05-01-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
My brother 2001 GMC Z71 dropped some roller rocker needles. It came out with the drain plug magnet. About three of them.

Jim
I didnt.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99Silver6.0
I didnt.
You got a hell of a deal on those Jesel Rockers man!! Those things retail at $750.00
Maybe a sponsor here or a local shop around Houston can sell them cheaper.
Anyone know if they can be had for cheaper than $750.00??

Jim
Old 05-02-2006, 06:12 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO

Jim
I had to grind little notches in the heads on the pushrod side of the rockers.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

is there really any advantage of 1.7 vs 1.8 on stock cam? i saw those harland ones in summit, i like the price
Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stone150
is there really any advantage of 1.7 vs 1.8 on stock cam? i saw those harland ones in summit, i like the price
You will get some additional lift. Take the lift spec on the stock cam, divide by 1.7, and multiply by 1.8 to get your actual lift with 1.8 rockers.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

thunder, you're using the Vinci 1.8 rockers right?? I'm wondering if anyone has tried the Harland Sharp 1.8, because they would be perfect to get a little more lift out of my low lift (.510) cam. I've contacted Lunati about this and they are discouraging me due to the increased possibility of valve float. From what I understand valve float is primarily created by the pushrod flexing under load and springing energy back out. It would seem a quality set of hardened pushrods would solve this problem but Lunati also said they didn't recommend using 1.8 ratio rockers with hydraulic lifters. Does anyone know how much these OEM lifters can handle? The load on the lifter would only be increased by less than 6% according to my calculations so I'm wondering how much of a problem it could be.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by budhayes3

What is the part # for these HS???

Thanks,

James

Quick Reply: roller rockers