Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Roots blower

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roots blower

Are there many guys running the roots type superchargers like the Holley 144CID? Are is the centrifugal blowers more practical?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

most people are running the radix which is a roots style blower. it is more practical by far than any centrifugal s/c as far as conviencence of a bolt on goes. it comes with everything you need (injectors, intercooler, etc)

the radix seems to be the most liked and most used s/c around.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:30 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by vtodd82
most people are running the radix which is a roots style blower. it is more practical by far than any centrifugal s/c as far as conviencence of a bolt on goes. it comes with everything you need (injectors, intercooler, etc)

the radix seems to be the most liked and most used s/c around.
modified roots
Old 05-10-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by moregrip
modified roots
I think the fancy name for it is a 'twisted helliptically' or something like that. Just a new spin on the old roots type. (pun)
Old 05-10-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

centrifugal's are more practical because they are considerably less work to mount. in order to make the radix work as well as it does magnacharger made their own intake for it. this requires alot of testing and very expensive casting work. the results show for themselves and are well worth it especially in truck applications where almost instant boost is preferred. centifugal's can be the same unit from vehicle to vehicle with the only major changes being the bracketry. the other advantage to them is future upgrading such as with a procharger. you can upgrade from a p-1sc to a d-1sc and it's pretty much a bolt on swap. upgrading from one roots to another would pretty much involve an entire swap of everything and it would have to be considerably larger.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks
The reason I ask, is that I had a chance a couple of weeks ago to buy a Holley 144 for a very low price. I didn't know if anyone was bothering with them over the centrifigal set ups. I'm running nitrous now and it is very stong when on the nitrous, but I'd like a little more low end power all the time.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:15 AM
12 Second Truck Club

I honestly don't see how you would adapt an old school roots blower to an LSx motor without building a one off custom intake manifold like Magnacharger did..
Old 05-11-2005, 10:20 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
I honestly don't see how you would adapt an old school roots blower to an LSx motor without building a one off custom intake manifold like Magnacharger did..
pretty much agree, although, if you bought Starr performances lower intake manifold and made your own top plate, that would work too
Old 05-11-2005, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

How many of you all are running Prochargers, to me roots type polished superchargers look best but are centrifugals a good buy, a little boost lag doesn't mean much to me
Old 05-11-2005, 11:27 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will mean alot to you on the street!!

Quick Reply: Roots blower