Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Run fuel rails in parallel or series?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7845
on tech i seen a thread where it didnt make much difference. run in back of passenger rail go to front crossover then down the driverside with regulator in rear. this way you are going with angle of injectors for fuel and its been proven to work over 1k rwhp without issues. no reason to make things more complicated then they have to be not to mention little more expensive then need to be
For my application I needed a way to ensure equal pressure in the rails individually. Either way I was going to build a custom system and this was the best way to design the system so I can upgrade later as needed.

I plan to upgrade later to one of the designs I have been thinking about below:

Return System - Use a boost referenced regulator (return system) so I can adjust the pressure to compensate for the boost pressure at the head of the injectors. Designing a system so that I can make a custom y-block with -8 inlet and -6 return feeding dual -6 to the fuel rails. It will be an easy conversion from where it is now.

Returnless - Integrate a second fuel bucket that will kick on at a certain boost level with a switch. The y-block would then become an x-block so the 2 pumps and 2 fuel rail lines would join at this point. This would retain the returnless and use 2 pumps to feed the rails. This would almost double the volume output when both pumps are running.

Last edited by leftcoast32; 05-20-2008 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Not speaking from experience but at some point in your feed line there is a split unless your running two pumps in the tank correct? There will be a split somewhere to feed both rails.

Does the placement or closeness to the rails in relation to the split even matter as long as it's not a sharp bend to feed one rail compared to the other? Fluid under pressure by nature will follow the path of least resistance to a point, once the lines and rails are under pressure I can't see how it would matter. At the HP levels being run on some of our trucks maybe it comes into play??

Then again I did not just smoke my forged engine either so I would probably do anything and everything to stop that from happening again.
Looks like you are covering all the bases Thunder550.

Last edited by TG02Z71; 05-21-2008 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Not speaking from experience but at some point in your feed line there is a split unless your running two pumps in the tank correct? There will be a split somewhere to feed both rails.

Does the placement or closeness to the rails in relation to the split even matter as long as it's not a sharp bend to feed one rail compared to the other? Fluid under pressure by nature will follow the path of least resistance to a point, once the lines and rails are under pressure I can't see how it would matter. At the HPO levels being run on some of our trucks maybe it comes into play??

Than again I did not just smoke my forged engine either so I would probably do anything and everything to stop that from happening again.
Looks like you are covering all the bases Thunder550.
This is exactly why I am looking at the dual pump system. You can have each pump with it's own supply line to the fuel x-block and each rail with it's own also. The biggest restriction in most all of the fuel systems I have looked at is they all reduce to a single small line at some point. If you look at the current system pictures of what I am installing now you can see that the 12 inches of 3/8" line is the restriction. My next modification will address this.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:07 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered parts yesterday for a -8 feed line into a Y, then equal length to both fuel rails. I'm going to feed from the rear, and put the regulator/return line in the front. Rails will be in parallel, rather than series.

My restriction currently is going to be where the two in-tank pumps merge into the same line in the tank to come through the bulkhead of the pump bucket. I need to figure out how to get two small individual lines out of the bucket, or how to get a single -8 line out of the bucket.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by thunder550
I ordered parts yesterday for a -8 feed line into a Y, then equal length to both fuel rails. I'm going to feed from the rear, and put the regulator/return line in the front. Rails will be in parallel, rather than series.

My restriction currently is going to be where the two in-tank pumps merge into the same line in the tank to come through the bulkhead of the pump bucket. I need to figure out how to get two small individual lines out of the bucket, or how to get a single -8 line out of the bucket.
That is why I am looking into using 2 separate buckets and separate pump lines to feed into an x-block that will feed each rail individually. There are a lot of good ideas floating around in this thread!!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:27 AM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by 2005SSR6Speed
That is why I am looking into using 2 separate buckets and separate pump lines to feed into an x-block that will feed each rail individually. There are a lot of good ideas floating around in this thread!!
I started another thread on it here if you want to take a look. There's some pics of other setups that I have seen in there as well.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=418256
Old 05-21-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

So your saying your going to have two in tank pumps running two seperate lines out of the bulkhead into a Y fitting then split into two lines to each fuel rail?
If so why not just run two seperate lines one each to each fuel rail? Does the Y fitting equalize pressure or something?
Elighten me unless I have mis-understood.
Not sure but you may want to be careful what type of metal you put into the tank, some metals will corode under the environment of gasolie if not properly treated or coated.
Just want to be safe.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:08 PM
High on diesel fumes

I can't run two separate ones because both pumps are not running all the time. One runs constantly, and the other runs off a hobbs switch and doesn't come on till I hit 4psi.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't like hobbs switches, my intank and external run fulltime.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thunder550
I can't run two separate ones because both pumps are not running all the time. One runs constantly, and the other runs off a hobbs switch and doesn't come on till I hit 4psi.
Got ya. Makes sense.

Quick Reply: Run fuel rails in parallel or series?