Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

?'s about lt's, cams, etc..

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s about lt's, cams, etc..

Looking for some info so I can start accumulating parts to do some work on my truck. I have an 04 GMC 2500hd 4x4 ecsb with a 6.0 and manual 5 speed trans. 4.10 gears, lifted with 35's. I have an S&B cai, pp throttle body, factory dual exhaust, cut and dumped before the rear axle with flowmaster 40's. Now for the questions.

I have looked for LT's for this truck, but seems all I can find are mid-length headers advertised for it. What lt's will work?

Cams. I don't have to worry about stall speed since I have a manual trans, and I like the lopy sound of a big cam. The truck has alot of torque down low, but seems to fall on its face in the midrange dept. I know a gear change would help alot, but I want a cam. I was planning on looking for some lq9 heads for it and do it all at the same time. Any suggestions?

Tranny upgrades? I have not found any posts of anyone with a 5 speed. Is there anything I can do or should do to this transmission while I am at it? I wish I could find a better shifter for it. Quick shifts are tough, this thing has to be moved too far for that.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:17 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First you need a custom tune to wake that truck up(they are full of Tq management).
Also you want some pacesetter LT headers. They are ceramic coated and fit good. I wouldn't go bigger then a 212/218 or 220/220 with such a big heavy truck. But get it on a 112lsa and should lope good. If not loud enough just get an electric cutout. IDK about those trans but they seem to hold power pretty good, just not a racing trans.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

It's no racer that's for sure, I have a friend of mine that has a dyno shop here in town and plan on taking it to him after I throw some more stuff on this thing. I forgot to mention I have a diablosport programmer that I have used to tweek it a little with what I have. Being manual, it doesn't have torque management. At least it is not listed as paramiters that can be adjusted on my programmer. I know the autos have it, but don't think the manual trans vehicles are equipped. I was looking at those cams just don't have any experience with them. 110-112lsa is what I was looking for.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=KSLAYR73;4554277] I have a diablosport programmer [QUOTE]

Introduce it to your 35" tires.

Either get a mail order tune from one of the sponsors or a dyno tune. Handhelds are garbage and very limited in what they can do.

The 212/218 cam that was suggested should do you well. That's what I plan on putting in my heavy azz truck.

Another thing you may want to look into eventually are different gears. Maybe 4.56 with the size tires you're running?
Old 10-06-2010, 08:37 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You still have engine TQ management. Definitely get a custom tune.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

I kinda heard that after the fact when I bought the programmer. If I had known then what I know now, I would never have bought it. Tune for sure.

Gears, I have thought about that for quite some time. 4.56's would be much better and may throw that in the mix as well. Couldn't hurt.

Didn't know there was still torque management on this thing, thanks. Good to know. I had thought about getting a mail order tune. Much cheaper than the dyno. I need to go see my friend at his shop. See what kind of deal he will cut me.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not disagreeing with your plans at all, and the gains from all the components along with adding better gearing for your 35’s should wake your truck up nicely, but totaled up is going to be fairly expensive. You could possibly find a used Radix and end your hunt for towing power in one fail swoop for around the same money or even possibly less if you can find a good deal. Of course you will still need tuning, but may be a good option for you.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:39 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

Since no one else mentioned it, the LQ4 and LQ9 heads are exactly the same; both 317s. The main difference in the engines is the LQ4 has dished pistons.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

I thought the heads that came on the LQ9's were different? I read a write up somewhere, can't remember where exactly, that by changing to the newer heads made quite a bit of difference. I am new to these motors, so don't know for sure.

Radix would be cool, but I need to freshen up the top end on the ol girl anyway. Gettin up there in mileage.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:21 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KSLAYR73
I thought the heads that came on the LQ9's were different? I read a write up somewhere, can't remember where exactly, that by changing to the newer heads made quite a bit of difference. I am new to these motors, so don't know for sure.

Radix would be cool, but I need to freshen up the top end on the ol girl anyway. Gettin up there in mileage.
Nope, they're the same, only LQ4's which were different were 99-00 which had a longer crank and iron heads.

Quick Reply: ?'s about lt's, cams, etc..