Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

?s about truck maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ?s about truck maintenance

I will be changing fluid in the tranny at 15k and replacing the filter at 30k.
I will and always have used reg Dextron fluid
Hope this helps.
I also change fuel filter every 15k as in the prev posts
Gasoline is very dirty.
I work for dealers and you would not believe what are in peoples gas tanks !!
Old 08-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

thanks for the tip. 15K sounds good to me
Old 08-25-2003, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yelo: Well my gasket was $3($14 is insane for a paper gasket), the Friction modifier was $5, and the oil for 3 bottles came to right about $10. So with tax, I paid $18.33! But I did not use synthetics since I just had the Eaton and gears put in. I got the gasket and gears from the driveline shop, but their prices were the same that I see at Pepboys.

Hey everyone, does GM actually charge $14.00 for the diff gasket? That is a freaking rip off! Its a compressed cardboard gasket! I gotta check that out next time I am at checkers or something.

I am wondering what some of you guys are talking about, I can't find any drain hole on the diff, I have never known a Chevy to have a drain hole on the diff, you go to pop the cover, clean it up and use a new gasket. Well maybe on 2500s and up, I don't know. If you get a T/A Girdle they have a built in drain hole specifically to help out with oil changes, since they know that there is not one.

Yes I should correct myself, I know that the factory uses synthetics in the diff, but that is with the factory locker. I meant to say with Limited Slips to not use synthetics, I don't mean by the bible that you have to do this, and I know there is a slew of people who won't, this is only my belief and recommendation. I believe if you use a locker, or have an aftermarket locker like a Detroit, then I would stay with Synthetics, since they last longer, are more slippery, and run cooler than regular gear oil. But it is just like I believe in using a heavier oil in the diff anyway, and have done so in the last 3 trucks that I have owned. Lockers don't have clutch plates like limited slips do, and it's just like with my Custom Harley, they did not recomend using synthetics in the Wet clutch Primary, since it would reduce the effectiveness of the clutch plates, or could cause slippage.

I had no Idea, that it was that expensive to replace the factory diff oil, when using GM oil. Hell I still wouldn't use GM diff oil, I would buy some synthetic Amsoil, or Valvoline diff oil. I bet they are much better oils, and they cost less than the GM stuff. I used this in my front diff of my Tundra, and it cost $24 for 3 bottles of Valvoline Synth.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man there is definitly a drain plug on my 1500. It has a 3/8 square hole in it. It is not on the cover, it is on the bottom. Also that guy who paid 14 for a gasket has a 2500 which has a bigger cover. I paid 6 for mine but it is OEM rubber, not paper and I even reuse them once. I also agree about not wanting synthetic oil with my Eaton posi. Later.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh, didn't see that he had a 2500, duh And I just posted about his 2500 to him several times, double duh!

Yeah, the diff in those is like twice the size and uses probably twice the oil than the 1500. Well cause you guys say that they have drain holes, I just looked on mine and there is no drain hole, just the fill plug, and yes I did look over the entire diff. I wonder if there is a difference between certain models or something? GM just trying to rip me off or something! Thanks also, I Know most people would not believe in the diff oil, but I swear when I put synth in my Tundras rear(that had a Eaton also) I started getting wheel spin right off the bat. I replaced it with normal oil, and another bottle of friction modifier, then after about 250 miles my rear end felt the back to normal. That was my absolute proof for me, even though I had always heard about synths and limiteds, I went with the consensus and used synth. Well not anymore!