Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Santa came in March, But did I get what I asked for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Santa came in March, But did I get what I asked for?

Well, my motor came today. Shipping was a little(a lot) more than I expected. An I was checking out the engine(which is supposed to be an lq4 out of an 02 3/4 silverado) and I found a few things that blew my mind when I first looked at it.

First of all, it is "drive by wire". amazing huh? I didnt know that they made dbw trucks in 02 . I also pulled a couple #'s off the block(oh ya, it has Iron heads) here they are: block casting # 12551364, which is legit. But I took a casting # off the rear engine cover: 12559287. I dont know what it is, but I do know that my new "how to built high-po ls1/ls6 v8" book doesnt specify that #, which I belive is a crankshaft #, and with my luck, it is probably a 99-00.

Is it possible that this motor is an older lq9?

Im at a loss here, I think my motor is a mutt...lol

I dont know what year it is, if it is a 99-00, with the wide flanged crank, does that really matter if I am goin to stroke it anyways?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:01 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crank doesnt matter if you are going to stroke it what does is the iron heads if you were planning on using them. There were a fwe DBW trucks in 02 element80 has one and so does JimS. Pull a plug see if the piston is a flat top.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will I need a new rear cover though?

Heck no I'm not gonna use those heads! lol I was just stating that for reference purposes.

Can I just put my 5.3 TB on it if I dont go with a 90mm?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:08 PM

Defeats the purpose of going to a 90mm intake to put a 78mm tb on it. You need a 90/90 combo. Use the rear cover off your 5.3 and you will be fine for your stroker crank.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Crank doesnt matter if you are going to stroke it what does is the iron heads if you were planning on using them. There were a fwe DBW trucks in 02 element80 has one and so does JimS. Pull a plug see if the piston is a flat top.

See.. now that's the thing about being young... you remember all sorts of ****. Every morning I have to be reintroduced to the girl in my home that says she's my wife
Old 03-16-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JimS
See.. now that's the thing about being young... you remember all sorts of ****. Every morning I have to be reintroduced to the girl in my home that says she's my wife
woah thats kinda rough dude
Old 03-16-2006, 06:32 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Originally Posted by JimS
Old 03-16-2006, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99BlAcKz71
Well, my motor came today. Shipping was a little(a lot) more than I expected. An I was checking out the engine(which is supposed to be an lq4 out of an 02 3/4 silverado) and I found a few things that blew my mind when I first looked at it.

First of all, it is "drive by wire". amazing huh? I didnt know that they made dbw trucks in 02 . I also pulled a couple #'s off the block(oh ya, it has Iron heads) here they are: block casting # 12551364, which is legit. But I took a casting # off the rear engine cover: 12559287. I dont know what it is, but I do know that my new "how to built high-po ls1/ls6 v8" book doesnt specify that #, which I belive is a crankshaft #, and with my luck, it is probably a 99-00.

Is it possible that this motor is an older lq9?

Im at a loss here, I think my motor is a mutt...lol

I dont know what year it is, if it is a 99-00, with the wide flanged crank, does that really matter if I am goin to stroke it anyways?
That kind of sucks man. I just got my motor home last night and I was out there all night checking stuff. It is an 04 6.0, but everything was as it should be, 317 heads, DBW TB and everything is complete. Now if I could find a damn way to get it out of my Tahoe . Im strong, and could easily lift it if it was attached to a bar on the ground, but not in the back of the truck with no where to grip it. I think Im SOL and may have the only tahoe with 2 engines in it
What did they state when you bought it? What did you pay? Mine was 100% complete with supposedly 10K for $1175 shipped.
I would send that **** back and ask for a refund if it wasnt an absolute steal.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Defeats the purpose of going to a 90mm intake to put a 78mm tb on it. You need a 90/90 combo. Use the rear cover off your 5.3 and you will be fine for your stroker crank.
good point. haha

That kind of sucks man. I just got my motor home last night and I was out there all night checking stuff. It is an 04 6.0, but everything was as it should be, 317 heads, DBW TB and everything is complete. Now if I could find a damn way to get it out of my Tahoe . Im strong, and could easily lift it if it was attached to a bar on the ground, but not in the back of the truck with no where to grip it. I think Im SOL and may have the only tahoe with 2 engines in it
What did they state when you bought it? What did you pay? Mine was 100% complete with supposedly 10K for $1175 shipped.
I would send that **** back and ask for a refund if it wasnt an absolute steal.
well, I got it for $510+shipping...which that actually put me over your mark...close to $1200 and it to was 100% complete.The guy told me it was out of a 02 2500 silvy, and the production date was 07/01(which makes it a 2002 model year).

That sucks about not getting the motor out...I had a forklift to take it off the semi and into my truck, and I took it to my Dad's house...and he has a forklift there too so I made out like a bandit.

I started rippin her apart tonight. I got the tb, rails/injectors, intake, exh manifolds, coils, valve covers and **** like that off in abotu 30-45 minutes haha then I had to leave for family pictures

Edit: oh ya, and the POS pallet the guy shipped it on didnt hold the motor very well and it tipped a little on the pallet and bent/creased the oil dipstick tube
Old 03-16-2006, 11:06 PM

Sounds like you have a good start. Remember put NEW lifters in. Everything else is easy to change if its worn out but lifters are a PITA.

Quick Reply: Santa came in March, But did I get what I asked for?