Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

SCT xCalibrator2 and Wait4Me Tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool SCT xCalibrator2 and Wait4Me Tune

I thought I would share my experience with the xCalibrator and Wait4Me tune. I really liked the idea of having the convenience of a hand held programmer with a tune from one of the LS tuners. It seemed like the best of both worlds to me.

First off, this is what I asked for in the tune...

This truck is my daily driver and I don't want to sacrifice any driveability to eek out every last ounce of performance. My expectations are that the truck will be more driveable and quit protecting itself from me. I am not an idiot who is going to do stupid crap in my new $30K+ truck. When I want 100% throttle, I want 100% throttle. Not 75% that slowly climbs to 95%. I hope that makes sense.

Tune 1 - 91 Octane, Eliminate TM (as much as you suggest), Slightly firmer shifts (but not harsh), shift points I'll leave to you, but stock is OK. I want this to be a good safe base tune.

Tune 2 - Economy Tune

Tune 3 - Tune 1, but pushing the limits a little more.

I guess I asked for an "old man" tune since I am about to hit the big 4-0.

A little over a week after placing the order I had the unit in hand. I loaded Tune 1. The difference in the truck was noticable immediately. This sucker actually feels like it wants to run now. Jesse nailed the shift firmness exactly like I wanted. Now when it changes gears, the truck doesn't fall on its' face like it did before. The shifts are no harsher than stock, just quicker. I don't know the specifics of what he did, but it is exactly what I wanted. Overall the truck is MUCH more fun to drive! I will log (the xCalibrator supports this) and send it to him for further tweaks in a few weeks.

The only thing I would do differently is request that Jesse leave the user adjustable features enabled. But, I can see why he doesn't because there are probably folks out there who would "tweak" his tune, grenade their engine and blame him. I can also see where end user tweaks could result in him having to do a lot of un-necessary work (retunes, questions etc...)

This isn't meant to be a who is the best tuner thread, but rather my experience with the xCalibrator and Wait4Me tune. I know that HPTuners or EFILive would be the best option, but for the next three years or so the truck is gonna stay in the current configuration. I will eventually do my own tuning.

I am very pleased with my purchase and would recommed this route for anyone with minor bolt-ons who doesn't want to swap PCM's or learn how to tune. You won't believe how much difference a tune makes! I was pleased with the added responsiveness from the cat-back and CAI, but the tune added far more driveability for less $$. From day 1 the truck felt like it wanted to run but something was holding it back. Jesse definitely hit what ever that was and this sucker feels quick (even for a big heavy 4x4). The part throttle response is downright impressive!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did this set up cost ya?