Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Second alternator braket?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second alternator braket?

Hello everyone,
I got my stereo system completely done, now I need to upgrade my alternator. I was thinking about attaching the second one. Is there a part number for a braket. I have never seen one on the truck. But, on GM website as an options you can choose to get two alternators. Is it only fro DMaxx? If anyone who knows what I am talking about, please share.
Thank you, Dzmitry
Old 06-29-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

While you could get a second one, not only would that be a performance hit, you also need to add or modify some of your charging system (regulators, cables, etc)

Why not get an alternator from an escalade, a police edition alternator, or perhaps a high amperage version from ebay?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:00 PM
Teching In

unredeemed: I got to much power going out. So I figured I need another alternator. I just recieved 200 Amp custom build From Nathan.
But I still need more power.

Anyone knows part numbers for the accesories and the brakets that I need, to do the change? Also Who has the pictures with two alternators?

All help will be apreciated?
Old 06-29-2005, 08:18 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my alt from a guy named Dominick Iraggi, he was pretty big with the Rockford guys I used to talk to. He did a dual-alternator setup (315 amps each according to the site) for a guy named Steve Meade in his Tahoe. If you're interested in talking to him, email him dominick@tds.net maybe he can help you out.

Here's some pics of Meade's setup...here is the link to the cardomain page if you want to check out the whole thing. http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/523384

Last edited by thunder550; 06-29-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by unredeemed
While you could get a second one, not only would that be a performance hit,
The only time it will really hurt performance is when the alt is under a load. Other wise it just turns freely. On a previous truck I had a second alt out of a peter built with an extrnal variable regulator that would allow you to adjust voltage from 13 - 22 volts. It was very easy to make some brackets for the alt. It's a whole different story what this alt was used for.....
Old 06-29-2005, 09:27 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by three83
The only time it will really hurt performance is when the alt is under a load. Other wise it just turns freely. On a previous truck I had a second alt out of a peter built with an extrnal variable regulator that would allow you to adjust voltage from 13 - 22 volts. It was very easy to make some brackets for the alt. It's a whole different story what this alt was used for.....
Care to elaborate?
Old 06-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Teching In

thanks thunder
This is kind of what I am looking for, but with stock factory brakets if possible.

Anyones Chevy or GMC 1500-2500 none DMaxx came with two alternators?
Old 06-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Here is an example of what I am looking for.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thunder550
Care to elaborate?
Had a 250 Leece-Neville Alternator (huge altenator) with a external regulator. From the alternator we used welding lead to a battery bank in the bed of the pickup. There were 3 - 12 Volt and 3 - 6 Volt deep cycle batterys wired in series to make 18 volt bank. This was connected to a CB amp that was capable of producing 6000 WATTS RMS on a bird watt meter. The amout of RF coming out the antenna would mess up traffic lights, turn on rail road crossing gaurds, bleed over radio in other people cars, it would knock out the computers at drive thrus like McDonalds, set alarms off on houses and buinesses, just to name of a few things. Yes this was very illegal as the FCC only allows 4 watts on CB Radio. Was able to talk to people in Hawaii, all over the US, Alaska kinda of like HAMM radio operaters do. I still can't beleive I spent all that money on that crap.....when I could have been buying go fast parts for my truck (which was a 96 Chevy Pickup) at the time.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dimedrol
Hello everyone,
I got my stereo system completely done, now I need to upgrade my alternator. I was thinking about attaching the second one. Is there a part number for a braket. I have never seen one on the truck. But, on GM website as an options you can choose to get two alternators. Is it only fro DMaxx? If anyone who knows what I am talking about, please share.
Thank you, Dzmitry
A friend of mine recently did his own brackets similar to the ones shown in the pics above. He has 12 - 12" Rockford Fosgate Power T2 Woofers and 6 Power T30001bd AMPS. This is in an ext cab 04 Silverado....I'll see if I can get some pics. The bass is unreal.....

Quick Reply: Second alternator braket?