Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

it seems i'm an idiot

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it seems i'm an idiot

okay so this whole time i've been bitching about my whipple bypass being controlled electronically i've been wrong. when i originally started talking to the tech that does'nt work there anymore, he told me that it was. well it seems the only thing that the computer controls is the bypass solonoid, which can be easily bypassed. why did'nt anyone tell me i was being an idiot ?. anyway i did it, now i'm getting full boost without the computer connected. just took it out and it's hesitating when i get on it. seems to be pulling timing but it's not knock retard. anyone with a 6.0, 42lb inj's , s.c @ 5lbs boost and ls1edit who's truck is dialed in or has a custom tune care to send me a file ? or if someone can let me know what to change. i know the whipple computer modifies the coolant temp, the maf readings, the iat, does anyone know if burst knock shows up on efi live as k.r. could that be the problem ? engine is seeing to much air and pulling timing ? please help. e
Old 04-22-2004, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a base superchips Radix tune, if you're interested. It was for 42lb inj, 6lbs boost and a 6.0. Need your email.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey eric i pm'ed you

How did you bypass the solenoid and still get full boost. The solenoid on my kit holds the bypass butterfly valve closed so it will not be popped open under high pressue/boost?

You are getting to be a pro with this whipple stuff too Don't you love the whipple kit. It forces you to know what you are doing...it is like a love/hate relationship
Old 04-22-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ryan23silverado
hey eric i pm'ed you

How did you bypass the solenoid and still get full boost. The solenoid on my kit holds the bypass butterfly valve closed so it will not be popped open under high pressue/boost?

You are getting to be a pro with this whipple stuff too Don't you love the whipple kit. It forces you to know what you are doing...it is like a love/hate relationship
ryan, i pm'ed you back, should have looked here first. i'll repeat it here so others can see. i have a single belt, don't really know the difference but that's what i have. the solonoid is just a valve that the computer controls, it has one line in and one out, one line goes to the "boosted" side of the valve, the other goes to the bypass diaphram. when the electric solonoid opens it directs boosted air back into the diaphram, that pressure counteracts the vacumn and keeps the bypass from fully opening. unplugging it defaults it into the open position, removing the lines and plugging them takes the solonoid out of the loop and voila you have a standard vacumn activated s.c. with full boost. unfortunatly you lose that safety feature.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BenKey
I have a base superchips Radix tune, if you're interested. It was for 42lb inj, 6lbs boost and a 6.0. Need your email.
pm'ed you my address, don't know why it's not on my header, have to change that. thanks. just to be sure it's etchayes@earthlink.net
Old 04-22-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sent file.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BenKey
Sent file.
got it, muchos gracias, tables look a little different than my '02 but i'm sure it will help. e
Old 04-22-2004, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

in the file benkey sent me, his "delta airflow to enable burst knock is pretty much .015 across the board, mine is .010. does a higher # in this table give you more leeway before burst knock ? also his "spark vs coolant temp table is zeroed until 105 c mine has negs all over table. sound ok to change ? i think this is gm cold start stuff. ben, any problems ? btw his file is for an lq9 6.0 ho mine is an lq4 6.0 . p.s also noticed in his diagnostic file -> calc airflow most of his #'s are almost double mine, does this have any affect on performance or is it strictly for setting codes ?
Old 04-23-2004, 04:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

just spent a couple hours looking at my logs, the file bk sent me, making a file in edit , and it's becoming clear to me that i really don't get it. with the whipple computer hooked up it runs good up to 60% throttle, where i get the low o2 readings and set codes. with the computer disabled and the bypass half closed and only 2 lb's of boost it runs ok and i don't have the low o2's, with the electric solonoid bypassed and 5lb's of boost at wot throttle, it's good at wot but is falling all over itself up until then, it's pulling timing to 0 and i have up to 8 degrees kr. i guess i'm either going to have to send this thing back or suck it up and drive to fresno.