Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Serious Cam Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 02:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Serious Cam Help

ok ppl ur opinions will help me out with my decision .. so bare with me

i drive a 4.8 01 and im looking into a cam but hella lost with choices , either COMP 218 or Z06 ..

mods
magnaflow exhaust
K&N intake 77
Custom 93 Tune

any help would be really preciated as i will be buying a cam sooon .

p.s tried search but couldnt make find a good reason why pick this over that .

Joe
Old 06-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Will you be getting a stall to go with the cam? If not, you might try one of the Vinci grinds. I just put the 044 (210/218 531 114) in my 5.3 w/out a stall and it pulls like a champ, couldnt be any happier. Their website-----> shows the graph of a 4.8 with the 044 making like 40rwhp.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm, On thunder racing's web page. They have a new cam called a Cheater.
http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=9&pcid=51

Idk if this requires a stall... but the power band claims to be from idle-6800 rpms. Intresting grind they have there... only thing is, its a stock like idle I love my lope.

Stats on the cheater are: 214/230 .601/.578 117 LSA "minimum tuning required" it says. That lift may be too high for that engine. I just thought this was a neat cam they just came out with.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by yackowski
Will you be getting a stall to go with the cam? If not, you might try one of the Vinci grinds. I just put the 044 (210/218 531 114) in my 5.3 w/out a stall and it pulls like a champ, couldnt be any happier. Their website-----> shows the graph of a 4.8 with the 044 making like 40rwhp.
I have had 3 different cams in my 4.8: Z06, comp 212/218 .529/.532 114lsa, & now tr 224/224 .590 114, I have also had several different convertors stalled @ different speeds with these cams.

The Z06 was by far the easiest to tune, just needed a high stall convertor & there was no usable hp, pulled like a bear on the top end though.

The comp 212/218 with the tci 3000 stall was by far the most drivable & had great torque curve, also loved the gas!

The TR224/224 with the 3500 stall is a blast to drive around, hard to tune, sucks gas like crazy, after some extensive tuning it is by far the the most troublesome to get right, but also the fastest.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CRAZYCUTER4.8

The TR224/224 with the 3500 stall is a blast to drive around, hard to tune, sucks gas like crazy, after some extensive tuning it is by far the the most troublesome to get right, but also the fastest.

Were in the same boat with the tr224.. i think it was you and 01thunder who inspired me to get the tr224 actually. It is a pain to get right... what are you idleing at now? I'm at like 950... does yours tend to need a little gas at start up after running for a while and than restarting? The cold start with the tr224 is great with the tune i have... oh and since im on a budget, i went with the tb stall.. and it doesnt help much.. i'll get a 3500 as soon as i get the cash... sry to hijack your thread.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GirlsDoItRight
Were in the same boat with the tr224.. i think it was you and 01thunder who inspired me to get the tr224 actually. It is a pain to get right... what are you idleing at now? I'm at like 950... does yours tend to need a little gas at start up after running for a while and than restarting? The cold start with the tr224 is great with the tune i have... oh and since im on a budget, i went with the tb stall.. and it doesnt help much.. i'll get a 3500 as soon as i get the cash... sry to hijack your thread.
at least he is getting real world advice, I am idling around 950 right now, I keep having problems when I lower the idle & let it lope with maf codes, so I turned them off, & I am running speed density right now. I have probably got 40 hours of logging & tuning, besides the idle flare up it runs nasty.

I also kept having problems with my ve tables after I did a speed density tune, @ idle it would show positive 13, I would make the correction & then it would show -17. I finally nailed it down, but what a pain in the ****!
Old 06-06-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah... the tr224 may be the biggest the 4.8L can handle... maybe a little bigger but the tuning is extensive. When I first got the cam in, it was a hell of a drive home. Stalled out twice and had to do a little brake+gas action... ppl must have thought i was retarted driving down the road... but other than that, its worth it in the end.

Glad to kno you didnt blow yourself up when you did that high nitrous dyno run... i remember reading about that. The 12.75 you ran, what shot was that? 125?
Old 06-06-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

check sig. the 062 is similiar to yackowski's except a little higher lift and a 112lsa. i have mine idleing at 700 and seems to be doing fine right there. under 1500rpm it is down somewhat on torque but quickly comes on the pipe around 2K and pulls good until my limit of 5700.

you will need a tune for this grind, especially with the 4.8. and would it thump in that 4.8.

i am on the stock stall right now. a stall would definately make a difference, but don't feel it is a necessity. it is on the list to get.

i need to clean up the tune a little since it is starting to get hot outside. when it was cool it was awesome. with the heat comes the little tuning issues.

here are a couple of vids of mine idleing if you want to check them out.

http://bigdogfrank.koehlerpro.com/video/cam_sound_1.wmv

http://bigdogfrank.koehlerpro.com/video/cam_sound_2.wmv
Old 06-07-2005, 05:13 AM
Launching!

damn okie that is just too loud man .. what kind of exhaust are u runing ? LT's ?..

Thanx folks for the great info .. im going to be getting Yank TT 3000 off one of the sponsers hopfully and couple of tranny upgrades

i heard that the hotcam is also a great choice but im leanig more towrds comp 218 for some reason .. any more info about it would be a nice touch

TIA

joe
Old 06-07-2005, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by YeLLow Fever
damn okie that is just too loud man .. what kind of exhaust are u runing ? LT's ?..

Thanx folks for the great info .. im going to be getting Yank TT 3000 off one of the sponsers hopfully and couple of tranny upgrades

i heard that the hotcam is also a great choice but im leanig more towrds comp 218 for some reason .. any more info about it would be a nice touch

TIA

joe
hell yeah it was loud. that is with the blowmaster super40, no cats and manifolds. was quieter with the cats. had to take it off and go with the magnaflow. still loud though. ordered my pacsetter's yesterday and i'm thinkin about the hooker aerochamber when i install the lt's. heard good things about the aerochamber.

Quick Reply: Serious Cam Help