Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

servo ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 12:17 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question servo ?

I was thinking about getting the vette servo installed with a transgo shift kit but what ive heard lately is just to get someone to hook up edit and edit my shifts. so should i get the kit and servo installed. or will a servo and edit be just as good combo? i really dont want to blow up my tranny!!
Old 11-18-2003, 12:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Definantly go with teh shift kit and servo. If your gonna get EDIT, don't get it to edit the tranny line pressure, get it to get the most out of your truck.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:42 AM
TECH Veteran

I 2nd the shift kit.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:19 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Location: Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de la Porciúncula
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the shift kit and am about to get the billet servos.
If I had TM removed, would that make my tranny go out that much faster? Or can I remove just some of TM?
I'd like to get the most out of the shift kit and servos...but I still want a reliable trans...where's the middle ground?
Old 11-18-2003, 06:08 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i believe that middle ground is taking out about 50% tqm. you can raise line pressure with edit and change shift points.the shift kit and servo is the way to go.MAKE DAMN SURE YOU GET A COMPETENT PERSON TO DO THE INSTALL.i have had a bad experience getting mine installed.Century automotive does an awsome job. also JAG performance in San Antonio does a great job also.1 washer and the red spring are great. good luck.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Just be nice to your trans. Don't neutral slam it, don't brake torque it, no power braking, and with regular maintainence it should last a while in stock form. I had a few more things done to my '99 Z71 than I do to my '01 and I sold the '99 w/ ~65K on it and the trans was fine.

EDIT will just raise you line pressure higher than it needs to be. A properly installed TransGo is excellent. Makes the trans behave soooo much better than the factory imagined. www.transgoperformance.com

As soon as I remember to get Farmtruc to tune my truck, I am going to remove all TqMgt. I am pretty confident my 4L60E will hold up fine, I have a properly installed TransGo and both billet servos. My shifts are great at part throttle and low speeds, the 1-2 is fine at WOT, the 2-3 you can feel the TqMgt kicking in.

1 washer with the 'Vette servo, NO washer with the billet servo.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

I had the full Transgo kit installed when I had my tranny completely rebuilt. This thing shifts like a beast. Crisp and firm shifts without any hesitation at all. I went with 2 washers and the stock servo but we turned the pressure up a bit on the pc solenoid.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

JSmith, if your pushing a lot of poower, your gonna grenade everything in there with a harsh shift like that. That's what happened to my first tranny. The sad thing is I wasn't even getting on it when it let go.

On a side note .. there was absolutely NO signs of slippage on the clutchs after less just under 3000 miles. I'm thinking it was 2 washers and the billet servos. I took it back and he took half a washer off with a grinder. After that is when it went .
Old 11-18-2003, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

The washers only work the 1-2 shift, if he's using the stock 2-4 servo it doesn't have that much apply area so I don't think it is too bad. Remeber the billet servo bites about 50% more than that stock servo does and about 35% more than the 'Vette servo.

I wouldn't have cranked up the line pressure any more on the pressure solenoid as the TransGo comes with a boost valve.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
The washers only work the 1-2 shift, if he's using the stock 2-4 servo it doesn't have that much apply area so I don't think it is too bad. Remeber the billet servo bites about 50% more than that stock servo does and about 35% more than the 'Vette servo.
We set it up like this specifically because once your moving the shift doesn't need to be extremely hard. It shifts crisp and clean on the 2-4 shifts. You can feel the shifts but they aren't harsh by any means.

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
I wouldn't have cranked up the line pressure any more on the pressure solenoid as the TransGo comes with a boost valve.
It's partly my fault. I wanted a hard shift but after driving it a few weeks like that after I got my tranny rebuilt we backed it down alot. It was shifting too hard. It's about an 1/8th turn over stock now and I'm almost 95% sure that we are going to return it to it's stock setting. I'm still chirping on the 1-2 shift too easy. Overall though I'm really happy with the way we have it setup. I just wish I had gone with that higher stall.