Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

SES light w/ over heating?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:28 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SES light w/ over heating?

alright so i have been noticing that the engine gets hot and starts to over heat when im cruising slow or stop and go when the a/c is on. i thought it was the relays to blame but those are fine and all the different functions of the efans are working as they should. everything is fine when both low and a/c off but both high and a/c on coolant temps get up to 235~ and trans can get between 235-250. so that sucks that the efans arent cooling me well enough. when it gets hot though, and im stopped mind you, my SES light starts to flash, i am thinkin that when things are hot my misfire that i THINK i have been experiencing is becoming more and more pronounced is being noticed by the computer e or else the SES light flashes when the engine gets too hot but i dont think thats it, anyone have any suggestions as to keep everything cooler when the a/c is running? if it gets THAT bad im gonna end up being one of those people that swaps their clutch fan and efan every 6 months

edit: all reading done by the gauge not electric log or scan so im sure the coolant is not as high as the gauge reads, not sure how accurate the trans temp gauge i have is

Last edited by 1ImperialSS; 08-12-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:33 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, that's too hot! Did you swap to a larger radiator yet?
With my stock e fans I run 185* water and 135*(night)-170*hot with trans. cooler
Old 08-12-2006, 09:39 AM

yea i know its too hot thanks no i havent swapped to the larger radiator, will it mount up in the same location pretty easy? what GVW is your trans cooler? i also have a much looser and smaller diameter stall than yours so i will get hotter in that department, usually min stays between 175-210 (trans) after it heats up nice and long. i doubt the water is as hot as the gauge says but its still hotter than it should be
Old 08-12-2006, 09:41 AM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

I've got that same problem in Stop & Go traffic, except mine does that with no A/C. Thought I'd be okay with the efans, but I'm wrong. Does seem like a misfire when reaching that temp.

Off-topic... how do ya like that cam in your 5.3? Ran my truck last night at a local track. My 216/220 (w/ timing still left in it) got me 14.3s. Wanna see how much quicker I can get it before upgrading. My 60' sucks tho. Runnin 2.2s, when I'm sure I should be cuttin 1.9s or so.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:46 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Sorry, I am good at pointing out the obvious

I dont remember the gvw but it's the larger B&M. My converter is 10" but it is pretty tight.
I think you can get a larger radiator to bolt right up, '05 radiator?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:46 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

I had the same issue. My scanner was telling me temps that were 10-20* cooler or hotter than the gauge. So the gauge is close but not perfect. I have a 34" radiator and a stock clutch fan but was still getting hot. Tranny as well, and I have the stock "Heavy Duty" tranny cooler package. I couldnt figure out why it was getting so hot in traffic or at a long stop. I went back to the basics and found I was a quart low on oil No more overheating. Why that affected the trans I'm not sure. Maybe because the tranny cooler runs through my rad and it was getting way hot becuase the engine was a little low on oil? Anyway, it worked.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:49 AM

yea i love the cam but i still have some tuning issue to be worked out, lots of timing left in it, im running 22* and i shift at crappy 6000 so theres lots left to be had. much better than my old LS6 though, back on topic though, i only think its a misfire because im pretty sure when misfire is detected the SES light flashes instead of staying on. alsowhen the TC is in lockup i can feel slight changes in the engine much easier so im noticing jerking when accelerating from lockup until 70mph, then things smooth out. it does seem to run a little crappier with the a/c on in any sense, i was just reading about someone whose a/c compressor was going out and it was locked when the a/c clutch was trying to engage and it causing jerking at highway speeds as well but that doesnt have to do with my overheating not to mention the a/c is still very cold
Old 08-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
i only think its a misfire because im pretty sure when misfire is detected the SES light flashes instead of staying on.
Exactly right. You're probably getting the P0300 code as well. Have you pulled the codes yet?
Old 08-12-2006, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 1SlowHoe
I had the same issue. My scanner was telling me temps that were 10-20* cooler or hotter than the gauge. So the gauge is close but not perfect. I have a 34" radiator and a stock clutch fan but was still getting hot. Tranny as well, and I have the stock "Heavy Duty" tranny cooler package. I couldnt figure out why it was getting so hot in traffic or at a long stop. I went back to the basics and found I was a quart low on oil No more overheating. Why that affected the trans I'm not sure. Maybe because the tranny cooler runs through my rad and it was getting way hot becuase the engine was a little low on oil? Anyway, it worked.
this could be my problem exactly the oil thing, the other day my "check engine oil level" light came on and i put 3qts in but i doubt that was enough. hmm. back to the basics, im due for an oil change anyways ill do that hopefully itll help because this problem didnt used to happen until i started having BAD oil consumption problems
Old 08-12-2006, 10:00 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like my problem last summer. You might try flushing you rad or better yet buy a 34" might try and find a 05 5.3l 34" with out the engine oil cooler.....
I coldent get my temps to stay down until I swaped a nwe 34" and e-fans now in the summer with the A/C the engine dont get abouve 200 ish.....

Quick Reply: SES light w/ over heating?