Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

SES light w/ over heating?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes! If it was down over 3 qts you have another issue going on. One of your plugs may be fouled, causing the misfire. I dont mean to scare you but could it be a ring on a piston going out? Check you intake tube and see if there is any oil backing up into there. Hopefully not.

Find a perfectly level surface and fill it ALL the way up with oil and then check it every other day or so and see how much your using and how quickly.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:06 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

probably about once i day the exhaust spits out a bit of smoke on ignition but no other time, some think PCV system, others a crappy valve seal. how do you know if a plug was fouled? and it doesnt seem to be missing all the time either. the intake tube, sorry i dont exaclty know what you are talking about.... you mean the part that connects to the TB or what? ha ha im not much into intakes yet
edit: i took out one plug(drivers side 2nd from the back) and it had oil on the threads... whats that sound like?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:08 AM

havent pulled the codes yet either, i will do that when i meet with charlie to get it tuned for the LT's
Old 08-12-2006, 10:10 AM

You'd have to pull the plug and look. The should be dry, if you find one with oil all over it you have your fouled plug. You also have found the troubled cylinder.
The intake tube from the air filter into the throttle body. When I started using oil bad, I found it in the intake tube and cone filter. I bet there was a full qt laying in there and the radix J tube. Ended up finding 4 broken rings when I pulled the engine.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:39 AM

so if i have oil on the thread of the plug i have a real messed up engine? ill check my intake tube, hopefully theres no oil in there, but it only spray blue smoke upon ignition sometimes so it seems intermittant. what would cause the piston rings to break? alright so ill check the pcv system, the intake tube, the plugs and if all else fails it may be the valve seals...

so im guessing that my lack of oil is causing the overheating issues and if its not that then ill have to go for the 34" radiator and 05 efans, or switch back to the clutch fan during the summer...what a pain.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
so if i have oil on the thread of the plug i have a real messed up engine? ill check my intake tube, hopefully theres no oil in there, but it only spray blue smoke upon ignition sometimes so it seems intermittant. what would cause the piston rings to break? alright so ill check the pcv system, the intake tube, the plugs and if all else fails it may be the valve seals...

so im guessing that my lack of oil is causing the overheating issues and if its not that then ill have to go for the 34" radiator and 05 efans, or switch back to the clutch fan during the summer...what a pain.
Possibly. The best way to find out, short of pulling the engine apart, is to do a compression test on the cylinders. Since you're gonna have the plugs out anyway it wouldn't be that hard to do.
My engine didn't smoke at all from the exhaust and it was blown. In the pics you can see where mine was smoking, but you couldnt see it unless you pulled the hose. I'm just giving you thing to look at, I'm not trying to convince you your motor is blown
If you pull a plug and it has oil on it OR the plug is bent closed, then you have issues.

Mine looked like this:

Old 08-12-2006, 11:02 AM

how do you do the compression test? and which hose did you pull to see if it was smoking? i know you arent trying to convince me that my engine is blown but you sure have me worrying! ha ha is there any other way to have your plug have oil on the threads and stuff without the engine being blown? looks like i might have to get a 6.0 unless none of this is going on...
Old 08-12-2006, 11:13 AM

Do a search and you'll get plenty of info on compression tests I think everybody does one at one time or another. You need a gauge and hose that threads on the spark plug hole. You can get this pretty cheap at an auto parts store. You disconnect the plug wires from the coil packs, insert the gauge and turn the truck over for a few seconds until the gauge quits rising. You should do 2 or 3 per cylinder and take the average. I think you should be in the 190psi range, not positive. Anything a lot higher means you have oil in there sealing it up anything a lot lower and you've got broken rings or something.

Somebody else will chime in and correct me if I messed that up.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:28 AM

thanks, i may just have to do this, what hose did you disconnect that started pouring out all of your oil smoke? i would like to try that too.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:32 AM

I have the radix intake tube. I'm trying to remember what it would look like on a stock truck. It should come off you valve cover, passenger side, and go to the throttle body somewhere.

Quick Reply: SES light w/ over heating?