Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

SES light w/ over heating?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote for doing the compression test. If that passes, I would look into the proper way to do a compression leak down test. That will tell you if your valve seals are worn out.
Sorry to hear this man. Letting your oil level drop like it did could have created a problem.....sorry to say.
Hope for the best. Oil on the spark plug threads usually leads to bad valve seals.

Jim
Old 08-13-2006, 01:39 AM
formerly silverbrick (changed 02/17/2013)

ok well there is oil on some of my spark plug threads, not much, not drippy but its there, none on the contact tips though either. i didnt know the oil was getting so low until the check oil level light came on then i immediatly poured a bunch in there and never drove it hard in the process. sucks to have all this crap going on right now though, not really a good time for me being college starts in 2 weeks but o well, at least my fathers retired and i COULD use his vehicle if i needed to. anyways, ill look into the compression leakdown test. how difficult is it to do the valve seals? and how bad is it to run with them fouled up for a while? im sure when the totally go, everything fills with oil? let me post some crappy night time pics of 2 plugs i pulled with oil on them, i pulled 3 plugs from various sections and each one had about the same amount of oil on it, seems odd that every valve seal would be going out at the same time.... what else could it be?

BTW im getting an oil change on monday, a wideband bung welded on, then getting tuned so hopefully some of the more minor problems like afr, timing, (fingers crossed) back fire, and misfire will be solved with that.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Question

That doesn't seem to be all that bad really. Though your pics blow!
I've read someones post saying that using an oil catch can, reduces the amount of oil consumed and burned in the combustion chamber. It supposed to keep the oil out of your intake manifold as well.
Is this true or what?

Jim
Old 08-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those plugs look pretty normal. Get a compression/Leak down test done and put your mind at ease.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:52 PM

ok ill use the handy dandy seach button to find out the compression leak down test. i know the plugs look decent but my mind wont be put to rest until i figure out why i am either misfiring or backfiring with alot of throttle ( i cant tell which one) and i wont be able to rest until i figure out why i am spewing smoke every few times i start her up. i noticed it doesnt happen if i shut it down, go in a store and 5 minutes later come back and start it up. it usually happens after the truck has been resting a while but still not then always. VERY random. i can deal with carrying a case of oil in the bed for whenever i think i need it as long as my engine is still working and im not being robbed of power BUT i am tired of the truck falling on its face and starting to pop(misfire or back fire i cant tell plus i dunno if misfires make noise) everytime i get on the gas pretty good.
Old 08-14-2006, 01:26 PM

1SlowHoe, is this the hose you removed to see all that smoke pouring out?

im contemplating a PCV delete with breathers. disregard the cap? thing
Old 08-14-2006, 05:00 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.

You may see some smoke but, nothing like my picture. Hopefully.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:45 PM

yea, hopefully. well ill be buying a bunch of stuff tomorrow and putting it all in, little diagnostic and preventative things. hopefully it will make me happy enough to want to take this oil, misfire and various problems head on. i just dont have the patience right now.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Sexy Party Mod

are your rockers tightened all of the way? Didnt another member have some of the same problems. Might wanna give it a check. Couldnt hurt right?
Old 08-14-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Soon2bSpooled
ok ill use the handy dandy seach button to find out the compression leak down test. i know the plugs look decent but my mind wont be put to rest until i figure out why i am either misfiring or backfiring with alot of throttle ( i cant tell which one) and i wont be able to rest until i figure out why i am spewing smoke every few times i start her up. i noticed it doesnt happen if i shut it down, go in a store and 5 minutes later come back and start it up. it usually happens after the truck has been resting a while but still not then always. VERY random. i can deal with carrying a case of oil in the bed for whenever i think i need it as long as my engine is still working and im not being robbed of power BUT i am tired of the truck falling on its face and starting to pop(misfire or back fire i cant tell plus i dunno if misfires make noise) everytime i get on the gas pretty good.
That is a sign of the valve seals being worn out. If it takes a few hours of sitting for it to puff out blue smoke, then the vavle seals are part of your issues you are having.
If you go that far into replacing them, then you might as well remove them and have the heads reworked, new valve seals, new valves, springs, retainers, locks, pushrods, lifters, and rockers.
Or, a set of heads from Richard. Hopefully your compression test will come back fine, and only your heads will need to be rebuilt or replaced.
Well, good luck and keep us posted!

Jim

Quick Reply: SES light w/ over heating?