Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Setting TM to respectable levels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting TM to respectable levels?

Is it possible to set torque management to respectable levels, without dramatically reducing stock tranny life?

If so, what would be some values to throw in there? Go up or down by about 75% in respectable tables?

I've "seen the light" after simply turing off abuse mode, and setting max engine torque to like 640. I realize today that 640 is a "wrong" number to run, but the truck is an animal. I swear I felt first gear slip when the stock converter hit, from a dead stop WOT run.

Maybe I just pushed the converter... I don't know... but the truck hauls. Now I'm worried about breaking something serious with my very limited budged. I can't afford a tranny.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

An alternate question - What internal mods would my '65 need to handle "no" or "moderately reduced" TM?
Old 06-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default torque management

Originally Posted by marc_w
Is it possible to set torque management to respectable levels, without dramatically reducing stock tranny life?

If so, what would be some values to throw in there? Go up or down by about 75% in respectable tables?

I've "seen the light" after simply turing off abuse mode, and setting max engine torque to like 640. I realize today that 640 is a "wrong" number to run, but the truck is an animal. I swear I felt first gear slip when the stock converter hit, from a dead stop WOT run.

Maybe I just pushed the converter... I don't know... but the truck hauls. Now I'm worried about breaking something serious with my very limited budged. I can't afford a tranny.
Surely a near stock truck like yours can handle "0" torque management?
I thought problems started when larger cams, along with higher stall converters, or superchargers were added. ....or drag racing?

I have a 2003, 5.3, 3.73 swb regular cab. I planned on getting a westers or nelson tune and all the torque management taken out. Don't plan on anything else except maybe agood cold air intake...maybe TT2600 at a later date.
I don't race.....but hey, i can appreciate some sotp acceleration sometimes during normal driving.

The year GM started this torque management....what did they do diifferent to the transmmision compared to the year before when there was no torque management?

raisin
Old 06-01-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would multiply the stock tables by 180% and give that a try. A good shift kit, I like the TransGo, would do a lot of good with a corvette intermediate servo and billet OD. On the other vehicle, if it were a project .. I would at least put some good frictions in there, the Torque Drive system would be optional, a Transgo, billet servos (intermediate and OD), and a couple other little things in there to help improve the shifts and you will be good to go as long as you aren't pushing an insane amount of power and/or terribly heavy.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Exactly, I've been TqMgt free for quite some time. Granted I don't make much power...just LS1 fans, K&N cone, 93 tune, Flowmaster , and TransGo w/ billets.

Granted you make more power stock than I do with my few mods it's not a whole **** load more...on top of that, the 4L65E is a MUCH, MUCH better tranny to start with. 5 pinion planets, updated input + output shafts, revised VB, 7 clutch 3-4 pack, and some other stuff. Get the fluid flow up to par with the TransGo then monitor line rise. You should be fine with a mild bolt on vehicle.

Raisin... I think TqMgt came to light around the same time these new motors did. 1997 in the C5s, 1998 in the Z28s, 1999 in the trucks. Hell trucks with the 4L80E and Allison have TqMgt too!
Old 06-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Exactly, I've been TqMgt free for quite some time. Granted I don't make much power...just LS1 fans, K&N cone, 93 tune, Flowmaster , and TransGo w/ billets.

Granted you make more power stock than I do with my few mods it's not a whole **** load more...on top of that, the 4L65E is a MUCH, MUCH better tranny to start with. 5 pinion planets, updated input + output shafts, revised VB, 7 clutch 3-4 pack, and some other stuff. Get the fluid flow up to par with the TransGo then monitor line rise. You should be fine with a mild bolt on vehicle.

Raisin... I think TqMgt came to light around the same time these new motors did. 1997 in the C5s, 1998 in the Z28s, 1999 in the trucks. Hell trucks with the 4L80E and Allison have TqMgt too!
Does anyone recommend synthetic oil for a automatic?

raisin
Old 06-01-2004, 02:16 PM
Teching In

...Hell trucks with the 4L80E and Allison have TqMgt too!
Yes I have been living with TM for a year now on my 80E. I think it is time for me to divorce my TM. HP Tuners/ LS1 Edit here I come.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Raisin... Syn ATF is a negatory for us. Makes the clutches slip too much. I stick to the cheapo ATF and change it every 10K mi. It's $1.20/qt here. I've been doing this since I got the truck and the tranny is in great shape.

slaterbj... Hell ya, I'd get rid of that TqMgt. I'd invest in the TransGo for the 4L80E just to keep all working well and enjoy many 10's of 1000s of miles you're gonna get from that tranny.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Sweet.

I hear of a lot of people frying trannies, and I really didn't think the 4L65 was THAT much more built than the regular 60's. I was pretty much under the assumption all of these trannies are fragile even in stock vehicles.

I am in no way easy on my truck though, and I'll have the converter and a smallish torque cam in by mid July. I also drive at least 30K miles a year.

Just trying to be cautious, and still have some fun.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Raisin... Syn ATF is a negatory for us. Makes the clutches slip too much. I stick to the cheapo ATF and change it every 10K mi. It's $1.20/qt here. I've been doing this since I got the truck and the tranny is in great shape.
Not to hijack your thread, but Hit Man how often do you change your Trans Filter? Also what is your guess on how many quarts to drain and fill my 4l80? I really need to do it tonight and I don't want to end up stranded with too little or spending too much $$ with extra laying around.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Setting TM to respectable levels?