Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

sewing machine

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sewing machine

is it a normal thing for all this valvetrain noise after my cam/spring install??

this thing is pretty noisy compared to stock form! it pulls WAY better, i am still tuning it, but overall it went well. took about 6 or 7 hours to do it all.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PERFECTLY normal... im paranoid about that **** too... i cant detect the slightest change in the top end. i pull my covers sometimes just to check preload.... i cant helpt it.. big springs do make a lot more noise.. get you some lucas if its too annoying
Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Yes. What springs did you go with? I had 918's and they were loud as hell until I replaced them with the new upgraded 918's.
Chevy tick. I'm starting to get used to it.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

i am running the ls6 beehive style springs, good for .550 lift. my cam is around ~.530, on a 114.... chromemoly hardened pushrods... i checked the torque VERY carefully on the rockers, rolled the motor over about 3 times rechecking, triple checked everything before i buttoned it up, everything was done by GM torque specs, to the best of my ability... i am SURE it was done correct, it just made me paranoid to hear all that noise. it sounded better this morning, but still louder than stock.

i still need to play with the tuning, it was tryin to die when i put it in gear, so i idled it up to about 750. now i cant really hear any lope, but its got a deep growl to it. LTFT's are dialed in, and PE spark/fueling are close, just need to get it to idle a little better.

question--- on the how-to page, it showed drilling out the little hole in the blade of the TB. mine didnt have a hole.. would it idle any better if a made a small hole in the blade??
Old 01-28-2008, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

are you getting miles on it?? I know with my swap it helped alot after each tune to drive it to go thru all the conditions, temps...
Old 01-28-2008, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, its my DD...about 90-100 miles a day

i wish i didnt have to drive it so far, but thats my job. like i say, it sounded better this morning, maybe that process will continue, and it will quiet over time. i am just paranoid!
Old 01-28-2008, 10:37 AM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

yah the sprigns are loud..i took my valve covers off probably liek 3 times checking torque specs cause i was sketching about the same sound...just enjoy the new power!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you tune via the STFT's first? I'm assuming you did if you followed the How-to writeup. I used it and it works superb

As for the valvetrain noise, I have the same exact springs and before hand I had a little ticking because of the LT's. Now it's just a little louder if you listen for it. I kinda like having the ticking b/c some people think it's a redneck truck with just a muffler and a few exhaust leaks

For the idle issues, what helped me best is to log the idle for a good amount of time to get enough cells hit and figure out which spark cells you're using during idle. If you set them all to the same advance, or close to it it helps with the bucking at idle/off the line. Also, clear your fuel trims, log the idle and look at your STFT's for the idle cells. Tuning just primary VE at idle solved all of my idle issues. I'm guessing you're using HPT?
Old 01-28-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jakebdb56
did you tune via the STFT's first? I'm assuming you did if you followed the How-to writeup. I used it and it works superb

As for the valvetrain noise, I have the same exact springs and before hand I had a little ticking because of the LT's. Now it's just a little louder if you listen for it. I kinda like having the ticking b/c some people think it's a redneck truck with just a muffler and a few exhaust leaks

For the idle issues, what helped me best is to log the idle for a good amount of time to get enough cells hit and figure out which spark cells you're using during idle. If you set them all to the same advance, or close to it it helps with the bucking at idle/off the line. Also, clear your fuel trims, log the idle and look at your STFT's for the idle cells. Tuning just primary VE at idle solved all of my idle issues. I'm guessing you're using HPT?
i kind of wish i was, but i am still rockin the predator.

i am sure you just laughed at me, but ahhh.... it was doing a great job until i changed this cam. the only thing i can really adjust if the LTFT via injector slope, which i now have them reading ~ -1.6xx, and have added as much timing as i could without getting KR, and then tuned the PE settings for fuel via my narrowband o2's...which is all i have right now. i have them around 89xx mv at WOT... cant really do alot with this thing i am going to try their custom tune from a tech there through email...and if that doesnt do what i need, i may switch to a full tuning suite or get with wheatley.

it runs strong, just the idle issues are a little bothersome. there is probably more on the table, if i had hptuner or efiLIVE , but i dont.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

so you are using the yellow LS6 springs? if so, when I put those on my z71 they were super quiet, did you put lock tite on the your rocker bolts? if not they will loosen up and make some ticking noise...

Quick Reply: sewing machine