Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Shift Kit/Servo question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Kit/Servo question

How firm will my shifts be with both of these things installed? I was talking to a tranny guy today and he was telling me that he thought the billet servos would be enough and that I wouldn't need the shift kit. I don't want to have full on race shifts, but I do want some good firmness to my shifts. what do you think, billets, shiftkit, or both?
Old 03-19-2004, 07:47 PM
Launching!

i'm doing both. I'm sure someone in the know will chime in but I believe you can control the firmness of the shifts by installing or not installing certain parts in the transgo kit (washers i believe?).
Old 03-19-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

that just it, I want my truck to be firm, but I doubt I'll modify it beyond a set of heads, headers, a mild cam ('02 Z06), and a tune. Reliability is also key.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Do do the Transgo and billet servo's. They both can be a pain but you'll get through it. As far as the shift firmness goes; when it comes time to put the second accumulator together, DON'T install any washers. 1 washer is reccomended for crisp shifts but I amungst many others out there didn't like it. It was too crisp. Follow the intructions when it comes time for the Billet servo's and you'll be fine with that. There are alot of threads out there on Trango installs so do a search and see what problems people have been having on the install. I had major probs with mine but it was worth it. Do a search in this sections for "My interesting Transgo/Billet install (long)" That will tell you how my day went. Just my .02; HitmanX will prolly chime in too as he as good experience and is one to turn too also.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would say go with both. You will really feel the TQM with the shift kit, but it will be a lot shorter durations. Install the TransGo conservatively. Use all the smallest holes to drill, and don't put any washers in the 1-2 accumulator. The billet servos not only stiffen the shift, but it gives you more holding power on the band. This is the real advantage of the servos.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:13 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for your help guys. I probably won't get around to it for another month or so, but my plan is to install the following:

transgo shift kit
billet servos (both of them)
24k B&M cooler

and I think I might install a trans temp gauge while i'm at it!
Old 03-20-2004, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

The cooler is a good idea. 50 bucks for a cheap insruance policy on the tranny. You can't go wrong there.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:31 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by NovaTime
transgo shift kit
billet servos (both of them)
24k B&M cooler
same stuff i'm doing.... should be fun...
Old 03-21-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2nd Sierra
i'm doing both. I'm sure someone in the know will chime in but I believe you can control the firmness of the shifts by installing or not installing certain parts in the transgo kit (washers i believe?).

If you are looking to firm the shifts use larger feed holes to do so, washers just seem to make the shift harsh and annoying with the billets. Besides that, only the 1-2 shift is effected (or is it affected? ) with the washers.

What converter are ya using?

Oh, and I fully concur with Flyer on the cooler! It's silly not to!

I'd go ahead and do both but if you are limited by funds, at least get the TransGo in there. Both do different things that make the tranny shift way better.

Hope that helps...ask away if ya need to.