Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Shorties

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to install my JBA ceramic titaniums and will post my results, but I live in Md. and don;t have any access to a dyno to get any solid number son gains. I'm also doing intake, Magnaflow exhaust,and vette servo at the same time. Maybe I'm being optimistic but I'm hoping for 25-30 Hp increse with all three mods at once. Next mods are gonan be TB converter and custom tune. It's a dialy driver so I'm not sure I wanna go further than that. Maybe some electric fans and a shift kit.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the point is not that shorties suck, it's that the engineering of the stock manifolds has improved so much that they rival (or are even equal to) the gains realized by most shorties. Plus, if you go shorties, you sacrifice the heat shields/dissipators that come with the stock manifolds, and end up having to deal with all kinds of other issues related to heat, wires, and such. So the question is, why would you want to do that for questionable (or very little) gains?
Old 01-16-2005, 03:41 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Not to hijack the thread, but does anybody know the difference between the Gibson, Edelbrock, and JBA shorties? I installed my Gibson shorties about 3 years ago at the same time that I did my cat-back and K&N FIPK. Did the K&N one day, shorties the next day, then the cat-back the last day. Wanted to see if I felt a difference with each mod, and I thought I did, but it might have just been that my right foot got real heavy all of a sudden.

Anyway, I installed the Gibson stainless shorties (don't think that they offered coated at the time), and I must say that the quality and fitment is awesome. From what I remember, when I looked at pictures, I couldn't see a difference between the Gibsons, Edelbrocks, and JBA's...they all looked exactly the same. I have heard some folks talk about their Edelbrocks cracking at the flanges though...I problem that I haven't had. So if anyone knows what's different about the 3, I'd love to be educated on it.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

I dunno if it's just marketing hype but JBA claims they're firecone collector technology scavanges more exhaust. Also don;t the ceramic coating help reduce underhood heat? I saw some independant dyno results showing 12hp from the JBA's. I'm not sure I believe it though. I wish I could get to a dyno.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:52 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yea, I definitely would have gotten ceramic if I could at the time...I'm sure that it helps the underhood temps somewhat.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:12 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

BlownChevy got 8-10rwhp with his Edelbrock shorties on his old truck.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

So 12 rwhp on the JBA's might be within reason? They have the bigger 15/8 tubes. Also will the ceramic make them cooler than factory manifolds?
Old 01-16-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dragonman0325
I saw some independant dyno results showing 12hp from the JBA's.
That's a huge gain from shorties...across the power band, or just in a certain area (i.e. up high/down low)? And you say independent dyno results? Remember where?

This would change my view of shorties if this were true.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

In another forum I saw a dyno chart from a member who tested them. Now I cannot promise he did'nt do other mods at the same time but according to him it was just the JBA shorties.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Veteran

It was probably 12 peak hp, but what about torque. I mean we all have trucks here right? I'm sure the hp and tq is up all across the board. But we don't race dynos here.

I don't have any headers, but I have a cam and if I get stupid maybe some nitrous, so I would think that I would gain quite a bit with some shorties. I've been thinking about just buying the cheap *** summit racing ones for like $170 and having them coated. I would think I would gain more than 10hp/tq.

Quick Reply: Shorties