Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Shorty Style Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorty Style Headers?

I have a 2008 gmc sierra 1500 with a 6.0L. I have true dual 3" exhaust, an enclosed k&n intake and a hypertech max energy programmer. My next purchase is a set of shorty headers. I agree that long tubes are the way to go if one decides to use headers but for simplicity i just wanna throw some shortys on. Any suggestions on the most powerful ones?
Old 06-09-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Which ever ones are the pretties are the most powerful..
Old 06-09-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're all gonna flow about the same, there's isn't a whole lot of room for companies to try new/different things.

What's your timeline for getting them installed? I have a set of ceramic coated gibson that i'll be looking to move in the next 2 months.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:12 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Terry Crews
I have a 2008 gmc sierra 1500 with a 6.0L. I have true dual 3" exhaust, an enclosed k&n intake and a hypertech max energy programmer. My next purchase is a set of shorty headers. I agree that long tubes are the way to go if one decides to use headers but for simplicity i just wanna throw some shortys on. Any suggestions on the most powerful ones?
None. All they do over the stock manifolds is look pretty.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

you'll go just as fast buying shorties and using them as paperweights.....just buy a set of pacesetter quiktrip headers
Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

your stock exhaust manifolds are pretty much the same thing as buying shortys, i recommend going with long tubes or your just throwing your money away. My truck really woke up when i installed long tubes and got it tuned. I even keept my stock cats on for now, just moved them down streem right after the collectors, but will be ditching them later on down the road.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol at all the misinformation being tossed around. not that i'm a fan of shorty's or run them on my truck, but jeez, look at the physics of it all and let it speak for itself. Some may want to run them for emissions reasons or just cause they don't wanna cut up the rest of their exhaust. My old man is one of those types cause he wants to keep his truck as close to stock as possible for resell reasons (crazy reason to me, but whatever..) so bolt-on headers without touching the rest of the exhaust works for him. At the very least we could provide these folks with accurate information as opposed stupid annecdotal reasons like "they suck" or "might as well be paper weights."

Stock exhaust manifolds are of a log design with each "primary" merging with the next pretty damn quick. Shorties at least let each primary run as long as it can by itself before merging together at the very last possible moment. The JBA's are also of a 1-5/8"s tube which is better for performance than the ID of most other shorties or especially the stock manifolds.

The proof is in the pudding:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...7&postcount=16

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...8&postcount=17

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...59&postcount=9

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...6&postcount=10

How about we stop the lies just cause most of us went with LT's. I see shorties being sold all day long for like $150 or so. If someone is on a super cheap budget (as shorties definitely aren't worth buying at full price hence the budget comment), that is a great way to pick up a small bit of power that is truly bolt-on. No welding, cutting, or anything else required.

Me personally, I went with Doug Thorley Tri-Y LT's cause I don't care about "keeping my truck stock" which is probably true for 90% of those on this board, but we can at least provide accurate info to the other 10% about their remaining options.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:31 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Totally correct. I also ran JBA's with success. I made back to back dyno pulls and gained ~10hp with long tubes. LT's are certainly a better bang for the $ but to say shortys are useless is unfounded.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PathfinderJr
lol at all the misinformation being tossed around. not that i'm a fan of shorty's or run them on my truck, but jeez, look at the physics of it all and let it speak for itself. Some may want to run them for emissions reasons or just cause they don't wanna cut up the rest of their exhaust. My old man is one of those types cause he wants to keep his truck as close to stock as possible for resell reasons (crazy reason to me, but whatever..) so bolt-on headers without touching the rest of the exhaust works for him. At the very least we could provide these folks with accurate information as opposed stupid annecdotal reasons like "they suck" or "might as well be paper weights."

Stock exhaust manifolds are of a log design with each "primary" merging with the next pretty damn quick. Shorties at least let each primary run as long as it can by itself before merging together at the very last possible moment. The JBA's are also of a 1-5/8"s tube which is better for performance than the ID of most other shorties or especially the stock manifolds.

The proof is in the pudding:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...7&postcount=16

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...8&postcount=17

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...59&postcount=9

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...6&postcount=10

How about we stop the lies just cause most of us went with LT's. I see shorties being sold all day long for like $150 or so. If someone is on a super cheap budget (as shorties definitely aren't worth buying at full price hence the budget comment), that is a great way to pick up a small bit of power that is truly bolt-on. No welding, cutting, or anything else required.

Me personally, I went with Doug Thorley Tri-Y LT's cause I don't care about "keeping my truck stock" which is probably true for 90% of those on this board, but we can at least provide accurate info to the other 10% about their remaining options.
Thank you very much for the "correct" feedback for choosing shorties. Just so you all know, i am going with shorties because they are bolt on and so i dont have to re-do the exhaust when i trade the truck into the dealer for a new one. I have no problem cutting up my exhaust, hense i did a custom system instead of most with purchased systems, but i would rather not pay my exhaust guy another $150 to re-rout my exhaust back so i can put the stock manifolds back on.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:07 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran Gibson stainless shorties for over 5 years...I didn't get any before and after dyno numbers, but I can tell you that my butt-meter did not feel a thing as far as gains go from bolting these things on. If anything, they may have been good for 5 to 8 rwhp, but I couldn't notice it. When I installed my current StainlessWorks LT's with catted y-pipe, I noticed the gains instantly on the first road test, even before the PCM was tuned for them. If you must have shorties though, it appears that JBA makes the best out there.

We need to move this thread out of the show and shine section btw lol...

Quick Reply: Shorty Style Headers?