Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Shorty Style Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you PathfinderJr for clearing that up. Sometimes I want to give up trying to explain to people that shorties aren't worthless. It shouldn't take an experienced enthusiast to look at the design of shorties versus stock and see there is an obvious improvement.

As I've said before I noticed a nice increase with my JBA's before tuning, most of it in the lower to mid rpms. Im pretty sure when Trever1T changed over to longtubes he was Supercharged, which goes to show you there isn't a huge difference in peak power, even when running forced induction.

I myself rather sacrifice some top end power for more bottom end because thats where I do 95% of my driving. Basically if anyones looking for an upgrade thats easy to install and doesn't require messing with the rest of your exhaust, while still being able to pass emissions, than this is an excellent choice.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:05 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I wouldn't say that shorties are completely worthless, but in the case of the GENIII truck engine, the gains are definitely minimal. As mentioned, the design of the slightly longer primaries is obviously better than the stock manifolds, and in a case like California where the emissions laws will only permit a shorty style header you have no choice...if I lived in Cali I'd run shorties, as I'm a big believer in "every little bit helps"

As I mentioned in my first post, I didn't notice any gains from my Gibsons, which makes sense unless you have an ultra sensitive butt dyno that can feel less than 10 hp...

Last edited by budhayes3; 06-12-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Yeah thats why I put the shorties on, because I lived in California at the time. But I also liked the ease of install and the fact that I could keep my factory y-pipe because in my mind it was more than adequate for what I was gonna use the truck for.

Your right every little bit helps, as was the case with the JBA's. It wasn't a major increase, but then there aren't a whole lot of upgrades that provide big increases by themselves.

Some people just provide the wrong information like its not worth installing something unless its the biggest and badest of its kind. They totally disregard what someones going to use the truck for, or where they need power.

For example, alot would even say that your 206/212 wouldn't be worth installing, and you might as well keep the factory cam. Obviously that isn't true but its misinformation like this that people continue passing to new members that's going to start leading to unhappy members when they install a cam too big for their application.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:09 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Yea, I've heard that my cam isn't worth it before lol, but 9/10 of a second and 8mph gain says different I hear where you're coming from...
Old 06-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Thats a nice gain indeed. Too bad I never got to install my 208/212 before my truck got totaled. I will probably just end up throwing it in my '07 Tahoe.