Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Should i delete EGR with new headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i delete EGR with new headers?

I just got a set of Long tube headers for my 2001 silverado 4.8 and i was wondering whether or not i should delete the EGR when i put on my headers and what will it do to the truck other than a light
Old 02-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say it depends on what your future plans are with the engine. The EGR valve takes the exhaust gas and recirculates it so the temperature of which the fuel burns is cooler. It can help when you want to have a higher compression ratio as it helps to reduce premature detonation. It is also there for emissions reasons, but I do believe the big one is the overall engine efficiency as the higher compression ratio you have the more efficient the engine is.

Personally when I redo mine I am going to rid of it. The intake on mine is so dirty because of it. The downside is you will maybe have to step up a octane rating for it to run right. i can't say for sure as I have never done it, but in theory that is how it would work.

Someone else might be able to help but I believe you can actually tune it right out. Just taking it off without the computer knowing is not going to be the best for the engine to run right. When you are going at 55 down the road the engine is going to assume that it is getting that gas.

Hope this helped out a little bit.

Last edited by 2K Silvy; 02-04-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added a little more information...
Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Delete it. It's a complete waste on gas engines and just pumps already burned gas back through the intake. There's a reason they stopped using it after your year.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 786 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Smitty2000
Delete it. It's a complete waste on gas engines and just pumps already burned gas back through the intake. There's a reason they stopped using it after your year.
Basically what he said.

The EGR is only used under certain conditions. Despite what the tree huggers say, It makes more of a mess then it's worth. FWIW, my truck actually burned cleaner after I turned it off in the tune. The fact that they stop using it and it hasn't been used since shows you that it's not really needed.

With that said you Definitely need a tune to correct your fueling and spark. The headers alone will have a significant effect on your engines fueling demands.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deleted mine intake is alot cleaner, front of engine looks alot nicer also without the egr there. just pop a expandable plug in the manifold cheap easy way out