Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

silly to put a cutout on a duramax?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 05:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silly to put a cutout on a duramax?

just wondering if anyone has done this. the stock exhaust is 3" so a 3" cutout should fit nicely. i dont think backpressure is a concern on this turbo diesel (made over 730 rwtq on the dyno already). not looking for more power, but mainly lower egt (getting the exhaust gasses out quicker) and also for the sound of a straight pipe diesel every once ina while might be cool! ofcourse no way would i want it all the time, esp pulling a trailor.

what do you all think?
Old 09-18-2003, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: silly to put a cutout on a duramax?

i would think that a cutout would work great on a diesel. should drop the egt's down a good bit.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:50 PM
TECH Veteran

just wondering if anyone has done this. the stock exhaust is 3" so a 3" cutout should fit nicely. i dont think backpressure is a concern on this turbo diesel (made over 730 rwtq on the dyno already). not looking for more power, but mainly lower egt (getting the exhaust gasses out quicker) and also for the sound of a straight pipe diesel every once ina while might be cool! ofcourse no way would i want it all the time, esp pulling a trailor.

what do you all think?
A larger 4" exhaust system would work better for dropping EGT's all the time, or a large case Magnaflow diesel muffler to keep sound down.

When I get my ATS turboback for a DMax (I am gonna buy mine in the spring) I am going to get my downpipe section coated by JetHot to keep the temps in the pipe and not let the heat get out and soak the motor.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

the larger exhaust would def help out with the lowering of the egt. after talking to trevor over at TSP he says he belives the stock muffler flows great and probably wont do much for power, just lower egt. i am mainly interested in a bit of helping the egt (about 10%) and more turbo whistle and trucker sound (about 90%).
Old 09-19-2003, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

the larger exhaust would def help out with the lowering of the egt. after talking to trevor over at TSP he says he belives the stock muffler flows great and probably wont do much for power, just lower egt. i am mainly interested in a bit of helping the egt (about 10%) and more turbo whistle and trucker sound (about 90%).
A straight through muffler/resonator will help drop down the EGT's a bit but a 4" downpipe will get them down better.

You wanna hear that spool sound...get you an open element filter or hack the bottom of that stock air box off. I can now hear my WRX's turbo spool up with 3 cats still in it and the stock muffler...will be down to 1 in 12 days! I have a 4" bellmouth downpipe at JetHot as we speak. You'll be able to hear my *** spooling down the street...
Old 09-19-2003, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Typically the best exhaust for a turbocharged engine is no exhaust at all. They hate backpressure!!! I think a cutout would work great on a diesel.
Old 09-19-2003, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

so how come no one puts them on? i will probably get it done this weekend if i have time. it should be real easy to get to, esp considering my TA lowered has a cutout. also i dont think everyone wants to hear a straight piped diesel all the time?
Old 09-19-2003, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

No one is as crazy as you!

Actually, I am not sure why it wouldn't be a popular idea with the diesel crowd. It would be great to see some dyno runs with the cutout closed, and then open to see how much it would help.