Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Silverado SS exhaust, I maybe getting one.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado SS exhaust, I maybe getting one.

Here I go again :p. I can get a Silverado SS muffler and tailpipe for $25 plus shipping from a guy on the SS forum. It has a nice little rumble and no interior resonation from what I've heard. The muffler is a dual in and dual out but I think the one outlet pipe is an inlet to a resonation chamber just like on the Tahoe muffler I'm using now. I've heard the 6.0L is real bad for resonation, so if it doesn't resonate on the SS's 6.0L, it shouldn't on my 5.3L (fingers crossed). I have an extra stock headpipe flange so I'm not going to the cut the flange off the factory Y on the truck, I'm going to cut the pipe off of the flange I have and have the muffler shop weld a Magnaflow Y pipe to it. Then bolt it to the existing Y pipe and run dual 2.5" pipes into the muffler. The stock inlet pipes on the SS muffler are 2.75", which I think would be to big for my 5.3L. All I'm looking for is about 2-3 db's higher than the Tahoe muffler I'm using now with a slight rumble. We'll see.
Jim
Old 08-28-2003, 12:41 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Silverado SS exhaust, I maybe getting one.

I really like my stock SS muffler's tone. Outside, it has a great burble, and the interior is wonderful compared to the flowmaster or Borla I had on my 99Z.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:45 PM

I really like my stock SS muffler's tone. Outside, it has a great burble, and the interior is wonderful compared to the flowmaster or Borla I had on my 99Z.
So BigTex, should I try this? For $25 (plus shipping) and a few bucks at the muffler shop, I can't resist. I like the way the SS muffler sounds, hope I get it on my truck.
Jim
Old 08-28-2003, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

I think you should pass on this and let me know who is selling it. :p
Old 08-28-2003, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Y2K I know you have tried a lot of mufflers, and I was wondering if the dual in dual out mufflers like magnaflow have the two sides seperated on the inside or if the gases mix inside the muffler? I was thinking about true duals one of these days, and don't want to buy two mufflers if I don't have to. I think you should get the Silverado SS exhaust too.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

They combine. I have a dual in/out Flowmaster. It does sound good.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

i guess if your only looking for 2-3 db more, it should work out fairly well for you. it sounds like you arent expecting a big difference, so i think you will be happy with it. it will not change your sound inside but give you just a little bit more outside
Old 08-28-2003, 03:52 PM

Hey Y2K I know you have tried a lot of mufflers, and I was wondering if the dual in dual out mufflers like magnaflow have the two sides seperated on the inside or if the gases mix inside the muffler? I was thinking about true duals one of these days, and don't want to buy two mufflers if I don't have to. I think you should get the Silverado SS exhaust too.
Hey CashDude! I believe the dual in/out Magnaflows have an internal X design to them so the gases do mix.
Jim
Old 08-28-2003, 03:55 PM

i guess if your only looking for 2-3 db more, it should work out fairly well for you. it sounds like you arent expecting a big difference, so i think you will be happy with it. it will not change your sound inside but give you just a little bit more outside
That's exactly what I'm looking for!
Jim
Old 08-28-2003, 05:51 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its probably worth $25. And I think the 3.5" single output pipe and tip are nice.

Quick Reply: Silverado SS exhaust, I maybe getting one.