Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Silverado SS with heads and cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado SS with heads and cam

For those interested in how my heads and cam install on my silverado SS turned out check out this post

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...showtopic=4809

Dyno sheets and details are in that post. Cam is very smooth (almost too smooth) at idle and the torque band feels awesome.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:38 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Must be a member to view. Repost here.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:51 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post part 1

From silveradoss.com

Just got off the dyno about an hour and a half ago with the new setup. I will post dyno sheets and pictures tomorrow, but here is a quick update since I am so beat tired.
First pull was 370HP at the wheels. Additions over my 327 HP before was mild heads and cam (awesome drivability, almost too good as you can't feel the cam lope at idle ) and AS&M longtubes. After some tuning and a quick removal of my mechanical fan and final install and wiring of the electric fans the truck pulled 383 HP at the wheels. The torque curve is awesome and holds the torque for a long time. I will post up the runs tomorrow for all to see. Looks like I picked up about 56 HP at the wheels or about 70 at the crank. Only issue appears to be that I am running out of injector at the top a little. No matter how much fuel I chased in it still wanted to finish off lean.
To be continuted tomorrow.....
Bryan
Old 03-12-2004, 07:55 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post part 2

from silveradoss.com

Here's some dyno graph pics. Sorry I don't have them in the nice format as before as this are pics of the dyno runs taken with a digital camera. I will get the nicer copies next week along with runs from an 02 Escalade we did that made 440HP at the wheels with a whipple an headers, and then 490 with a 35 N20 shot on that.

Here's the stock with muffler runs from before vs my final runs with the cam. Changed since the first pull are, AS&M headers, mild heads and cam, Electric LS1 fans, and programming. The cam is not very peaky as you can tell by it's peak HP RPM, but the torque band is very wide. Truck idles as smooth as stock. Would have been nice if this is how GM had offered the truck to us in the first place...

Stockwith muffler vs Final run

Here is the first pull with the cam vs the last. Differences are electric fans, a little more timing, and pulled the paper filter (built a homemade cold air intake today)

1st pull with cam vs final

One thing to note is the air fuel ratio chasing lean up top. I am out of injector and no matter how much I tried to force in I can't get any more in. Time for bigger injectors. As soon as I get a converter for it I am headed to the track.

We will be trying a larger cam in the near future for those that do not have to tow as well as aren't looking for that stock feel of driveability.

This setup was set up as a very affordable heads and cam package. The heads are mild ported stock LQ9 heads and since the revs and lift are not high the stock springs can be used with no issues. I will be putting together pricing on the heads and custom grind cam package very soon for those interested.

Later,
Bryan
Old 03-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Thanks Scream, My screwup. I didn't think about the membership thing...
Thanks,
bryan
Old 03-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

What are the specs on the cam?
Old 03-13-2004, 09:40 AM
Launching!

It is surprisingly small. It is a custom grind with durations in the 21x range and lift in the .54x to .55x range. I don't have the card in front of me, but also am not supposed to give out the numbers either, but you can see the ballpark that it is in.
Later,
Bryan
Old 03-13-2004, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

On stock valve springs?
Old 03-13-2004, 11:52 AM
Launching!

I have the comp 918's but we are going to do some testing with stock springs if guys want to try to save some $$$ on their heads/cam package.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Doesnt the SS come with 10:1 compression? What kind of compression are you running now with milled heads?

Quick Reply: Silverado SS with heads and cam