Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Silverado SS, TR220 install coming soon.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 10:15 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You see, thats the issue at hand. One persons idea of overcamming isnt the same as someone elses. Personally, I think a truck cam should make strong power throughout. Others don't care about the sub-2500 rpm torque and want the peak benefits of a bigger cam. A TR220 isn't overcamming a 6L, but on the stock converter, the low rpms wont be super strong.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:26 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed on the converter thing. Gotta have it with the bigger cams

I actually really liked my 226/.535/112 cam in my 5.3L but wish I had better heads to take advantage of it though. A 3500 stall would have been better also

Here is my dyno sheet with the 226cam before tuning. I picked up 2mph after the tuning so something went up. LOL This is on a Mustang style dyno not aq dynojet.

Here is a sheet with the turbo and a 226/220 .591/.554 116 cam. Talk about power band from hell LOL. Like Tex stated, I could care less about anything under 3500really as long as part throttle is good.

Old 08-02-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

I agree with Tex.

For what it's worth, I'm really on the conservative side here. I've got a lot of emphasis riding on the lowend and the midrange. I'll be the first to admit that the motor might be a dog down low. If it's bad enough, I'll find another cam. If I think I can do more, maybe I'll go bigger in the spring.

I could have went with a Comp 212/218 low lift, and not lost any noticeable amount of lowend... but I wanted to try something different with a little more up-to-date lobes and slightly higher lift.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm glad your goin with that cam. test and trial you know.

what headers and what size stall are you plannin on going with?
good luck marc

btw,anyone dyno'd a SS stock or w/ bolt ons? I'd love to see a graph
Old 08-02-2004, 10:50 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I think you made the right choice Marc.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks guys.

SS5.3 - I've got the Yank 2600 waiting to go in... and I'll be doing Lapole headers.

I saw some dynos over on silveradoss.com... I'll have to go take a cruise around.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

It looks like I'll have to postpone until next weekend (8/14-15). My new crank bolt and gasket set (if needed), got on the pony express a lot later than I expected. They won't be here until next Wednesday... and they were ordered about two weeks ago. I may be able to squeak by with the stock crank bolt, but I'd rather not risk it. I'd probably be that one guy that tears a gasket too. Not a big deal... I want to spend some time to make a decent flywheel locking tool.

I'll tell you guys one thing though - Thunder Racing is one of the best shops I've ever delt with in any of my little hobbies. It seems as though no matter what I order from them, they have it in stock and in the mail (with a tracking number) that same day. It's nice ordering something on Monday, and getting it for the weekend.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

I installed the 918's the other night. I was very nervous about that part, and I'm glad it's out of the way. (For those who haven't done springs, it was actually pretty easy, just time consuming.) The larry tool works great.

I've got nothing to do today, so I'll be heading out in a bit to toss the cam in. It's rare that I have a free day, so I want to get this out of the way.

What do you guys thing about the crank bolt situation? Can I get away with using the stock crank bolt for a few days? Maybe put one or two drops of locktite on it? Maybe I should park the truck until it comes in? I've got another vehicle to use if it's an issue.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:01 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Just torque the crank bolt down. I reused my crank bolt. Its been fine for almost a year. When you get a new one, just back out the old, then torque down the new one. Its not going to be a problem.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Crank bolts are $3.80 from the dealership. Nothing against Thunder, but the dealership, in my case anyway, is just a few miles away and has always had everything needed for a cam swap. I get the speed shop to get them for me for a cheaper price, but have never had to "wait" on anything. Not to mention that all your gaskets can be re-used. I replaced them all once, after that I would never go beyond a bolt and a new seal.

Quick Reply: Silverado SS, TR220 install coming soon.