Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Silverado SS, TR220, installed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado SS, TR220, installed.

The truck is up and running. Started the cam-only swap this morning at 10, had a few breaks, buttoned it up at 5pm. (I put the springs in Friday night). Definitely no record there.

I got pretty nervous when I first fired it up. A lifter decided to tap on me thirty seconds after the engine was running. I thought something was coming apart.

So yeah, it's got a nice cadence to it at idle. It's muffled, but you know it's not stock. It idles "well" with the stock 500rpm idle speed, but I'm bumped it up. I had it as high as 700, but it's not necessary. I think I'll move it down to 625-650 now. It hasn't stalled once. Thought about it at the stock idle speed, but never did anything.

I haven't had a chance to drive it yet. I'm going to take it out soon, and I'll report back in the morning.

I'll get a soundclip up within the next few days too.

Now I gotta look at this tuning stuff...
Old 08-08-2004, 08:07 PM
12 Second Truck Club

I don't think you'll have too much of a problem while sitting idling. I htink the tuning issues will come when trying to drive in stop and go traffic. When coming to a stop sign and your IAC goes freaky and then it wants to stall out. I hate driving with one foot on the brake and one on the gas unless I am making smoke come from the rear tires

Ohh and I hear ya on the ticking noise. My second cam install did that and it freakd me out for about a minute while everything worked itself out. I thought for sure I left a gear wrench in there. Hahaha
Old 08-08-2004, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

I'm surprised it idles so well, it makes me think a TR224 112 won't be too bad with my 6.0. I'm curious to see how performance works out. Good luck tuning.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:41 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats great. Go get some miles on it.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

I am so envious of you guys that can do cam swaps, springs, superchargers, etc. Id have an extra 2K sitting around if I werent such an idiot.
Let us know how it feels.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

I've got about 40 miles on on the cam. I didn't get on it all that much. Only revved out to about 5K so far.

The thing idles and drives GREAT with nothing but a small bump in idle speed. I have it at 575 in gear, and it will ocasionally get a little surge/bog going when coming to a stop, but it still hasn't stalled. I haven't had to two-foot it to keep it running. Power steering works fine while stopped, brakes occasionally feel "wet", but they still work great. It actually lopes less with the lower idle speed. It seems to lope the most in the 600's. At 750 or so, it's kind of hard to detect unless you know what you're looking for.

Power. Under 1,500, there is a little, and I mean A LITTLE loss in power. It has no problem what-so-ever, lugging up hills at 1,100rpm, but now it feels like my old 5.3 truck did down that low.

1,500 to 2,500 - just like stock. Around 2,500 I notice a little more torque, that continues up to about 3,500. I only swept past 3,500 once, and I felt a surge of power come on. It wasn't huge, just definitely noticeable.

So those are the preliminary results... I've got to get working on tuning the thing. I think there is more to be had for casual driving here.

I've got a problem with KR. I'm getting about 4-9* of knock when I tip the throttle in leaving a stop. I have no idea what it's from. Everything in the engine bay seems tight. No tranny lines or anything banging. I can only guess that fuel is being pulled because of the lope/missfires, and when I tip into it, the motor is being fed a lean mixture? I think I need some VE changes for idle anyway...

I do get a bit of a sewing machine sound. It's not bad at all though.

I made up some 5/16" rods to hold the lifters for the cam install... The drivers side didn't go in at all - the hole felt like it was oval. The passenger side went in until the last four lifters or so. I played russian roulette with the 12 lifters and they stayed up. They were all up there pretty snug.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Addict

Screenshot.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:25 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Drivability sound great!

Now just get it tuned and have some fun
Old 08-09-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by spearfish3
I'm surprised it idles so well, it makes me think a TR224 112 won't be too bad with my 6.0. I'm curious to see how performance works out. Good luck tuning.
I was thinking that this morning... This little cam is so well behaved, I think I could have handled having a TR224 in there. I'm still amazed at my lowend power and driveability. I was expecting many more quirks and driveability problems.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

you def could have used a 224 cam.we just installed one right around the corner from you in my buddy's 8600 mile ws6.You should have seen his face when he first started it up and heard a couple lifters tickin' he almost crapped his pants!

Quick Reply: Silverado SS, TR220, installed.