Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Silverado throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado throttle body

I was looking at the intakes used for the 1500 5.3 and 6.0 and saw the intake is exactly the right shape, but what size is the throttle?

Anyone know of one that shape that will fit the 90mm TB on the TBSS?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shea
I was looking at the intakes used for the 1500 5.3 and 6.0 and saw the intake is exactly the right shape, but what size is the throttle?

Anyone know of one that shape that will fit the 90mm TB on the TBSS?
All 4.8/5.3/6.0 use the same throttle body.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking about the TBSS throttle body...
Old 08-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS_bnoon_SS
All 4.8/5.3/6.0 use the same throttle body.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking about the TBSS throttle body...
If any of these throttle bodies are the same size as the LS2. The shape of the intake system for after market companies match what is needed for the TBSS, but the throttle bodies are probably different than the LS2. If I could find an engine on the 1500 that matches the LS2 throttle body, that would be the intake that would work.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shea
If any of these throttle bodies are the same size as the LS2. The shape of the intake system for after market companies match what is needed for the TBSS, but the throttle bodies are probably different than the LS2. If I could find an engine on the 1500 that matches the LS2 throttle body, that would be the intake that would work.
The LS2's use a 90mm TB. The Truck LS2's use a different intake manifold design that doesn't quite flow as well as the Car LS2 intake manifolds do...

Are you talking about the intake manifold or the intake tubing?

If you're talking about the mouth of the throttle body, those are the same size on the LS2 90mm, or the stock Silverado throttle bodies... so the intake tubing for an LS2 car or truck would fit the mouth of the stock truck throttle bodies. I think that this is what you were asking for, right???
Old 08-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

The LS2's use a 90mm TB. The Truck LS2's use a different intake manifold design that doesn't quite flow as well as the Car LS2 intake manifolds do...

Are you talking about the intake manifold or the intake tubing?

If you're talking about the mouth of the throttle body, those are the same size on the LS2 90mm, or the stock Silverado throttle bodies... so the intake tubing for an LS2 car or truck would fit the mouth of the stock truck throttle bodies. I think that this is what you were asking for, right???
Sorry, I meant induction system, not the actual intake manifold.

Basicly, I was just wondering if the throttle body on the 1500 and the LS2 were the same, but I don't think they are.

I am trying to make my own induction system for the trailblazer SS. There are a couple shops that make them, but are selling them for $200-250 and the induction change doesn't do anything for hp, maybe just a tad bit of throttle response, but nothing that is worth $200-250 IMO. The only thing that makers a difference is changing the neck down, which requires a tune. A tune with an induction system from these guys is $650+. I found a tuner that will tune for $225, so now I am trying to build my own intake.

I finally found a silicone elbow for $30 shipped. 4"-3.5" 90 degree. The rubber ones are not a sharp enough 90 to clear the fan, so I had to suck it up and spend the extra money. Next is the tubing...can't find anything in 3.5 inch other than a plain straight tube with no breather valve attachement on it.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Even though the throttle bodies have different throttle bore sizes, the openings ARE indeed the same size. I think you did the right thing by purchasing the silicone elbow though. Silicone will last much longer than the rubber ones and will look better in the long run too.

Next is the tubing...can't find anything in 3.5 inch other than a plain straight tube with no breather valve attachement on it.
What type of tubing are you looking for? Are you going to paint it, or do you want polished stainless or aluminum? I got my 3.5" bends from EBay for about $9 each plus shipping. I used aluminized steel exhaust tubing since I'm painting/powder coating mine.

What's the breather valve attachment you're talking about???
Old 08-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

Even though the throttle bodies have different throttle bore sizes, the openings ARE indeed the same size. I think you did the right thing by purchasing the silicone elbow though. Silicone will last much longer than the rubber ones and will look better in the long run too.

What type of tubing are you looking for? Are you going to paint it, or do you want polished stainless or aluminum? I got my 3.5" bends from EBay for about $9 each plus shipping. I used aluminized steel exhaust tubing since I'm painting/powder coating mine.

What's the breather valve attachment you're talking about???
The crank case breather valve/PCV.

The bends are odd for the TBSS. There is a coolant hose that obstructs you from making a straight shot to the filter. It's an odd bend, it can only bend up a couple inches or it hits the hood and it has to be atleast a couple inches or it wont get passed the coolant hose. I am thinking without any fabricating experience, I am probably not going to be able to make one after all the measurements.