Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Single Cam Swap= 95 HP Gain!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 10-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Hello Dave

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by treyZ28
I'm not sure how much a tune picks up on an LQ9, but it cant be more than 15hp. 80hp magic stick ehh?
PCMFORLESS has a dyno sheet posted of an otherwise stock 04 SS.
32hp gain, 39ft-lbs. The stock LQ9 tune is very conservative.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Was at Nickens Brothers Racing in Conroe yesterday for a retune and deletion of all torque management by Allen Nelson.
He tunes for them.
Anyways, as I waited for him to finish up what he was doing I just couldn't help but noticing about 5-6 crate LQ9 motors and 3-4 LS1 382 stroker crate motors siting in the their shop. All awaiting mods of some sort and of course Allen tunning them.
So I asked one of the team's mechanics working with Nelson what the HP output has been from the LQ9 has been.
He told me that they just did a simple cam swap and a Nelson tune (only) and gained 95 HP !!
He said it produced 440 HP on the engine dyno. I was so overwhelmed that I forgot to ask about the TQ #'s.
He and Allen said that the idle was faintly lopey, but had an excelent everyday driver idle. He said they could have went with a more radical cam, but wanted to make the most out of a cam that could be used for an everyday driver.
They of course would not give out the cams grind.
Allen told me he could get the cam and install it, but not sell it out without installing it himself. I really wouldn't want it any other way. I would also need a retune to go along with it, plus put on a chasis dyno.
I've already spoke with Allen and will be doing this next year with a head change to get 490-500 HP @ the motor. Allen told me the projected #'s.
I really can't wait, as I like this route over the Magna-charger.
Too bad the cam grind will not be accessible to others who may want to do this.
Oh yeah, my retune gets a thumbs up! It was impressive again without the TM in the way!
Jim
On an engine dyno alot of people use headers and have no exhaust restriction, even if they used the stock manifolds they wouldnt have a shitty stock ypipe with cats on. That plays a factor if you did headers and open exaust with no cats and duels then cam and tune I would expect the same results. Thats totally doable not that impressive
Old 10-14-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't understand why gm puts so little timing in these things from the factory, emissions maybe? I was just comparing my current advance table vs the factory 5.3L table, factory only has 13-16 degrees vs my current 27-29 at wot. I then looked at what the predator programer was running for timming and it's only 18-21. So you can see how you can pick up 30hp+ with tuning.

95 hp may sound like a lot, but this is at the engine, at the wheels it would only be like a 75 ish hp gain, which is still a pretty big gain.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
On an engine dyno alot of people use headers and have no exhaust restriction, even if they used the stock manifolds they wouldnt have a shitty stock ypipe with cats on. That plays a factor if you did headers and open exaust with no cats and duels then cam and tune I would expect the same results. Thats totally doable not that impressive
Y-pipe.......maybe your 5.3L. The 6.0L is dual all the way into the muffler.
The factory exhaust is actually not all the restrictive.
It is impressive actually.
Does your motor have an extra 100 HP from a cam & tune combo?

Jim
Old 10-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by treyZ28
30hp? come on man.
Dude I picked damn near that with mine. I got allen to tune my truck in person. Besides PCM4LESS=

I ahvent heard to many good things baout them. Atleast get a wait4me tune or IMO if oyu want the best tune you can get give Allen at Nelson Performance a call. Ill get Mjhowards dyno sheet he picked up 80hp with his tune. He is FI but hey he gained it from a tune.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Dude I picked damn near that with mine. I got allen to tune my truck in person. Besides PCM4LESS=

I ahvent heard to many good things baout them. Atleast get a wait4me tune or IMO if oyu want the best tune you can get give Allen at Nelson Performance a call. Ill get Mjhowards dyno sheet he picked up 80hp with his tune. He is FI but hey he gained it from a tune.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHEVY6000VHO
Y-pipe.......maybe your 5.3L. The 6.0L is dual all the way into the muffler.
The factory exhaust is actually not all the restrictive.
It is impressive actually.
Does your motor have an extra 100 HP from a cam & tune combo?

Jim
can I bolt up a silverado SS exhuast upto my truck then? I have 4.8 exhuast
Old 10-15-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

I think the 6.0 exhaust manifold is different? You would need the whole thing pipes and all. Should be able to
Old 10-15-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Matt,
I think the 4.8 and 6.0 manifolds are the same. When I crossthreaded my 6.0 manifold in the swap, I used my 4.8 manifold. They had the same casting numbers and looked identical.

Quick Reply: Single Cam Swap= 95 HP Gain!