Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

small block 350

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small block 350

can anyone tell me what kind of numbers i should be looking at stock? feels fairly powerful now but could use more lol. thanks... pat
Old 03-30-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 89-5.7Chevy
can anyone tell me what kind of numbers i should be looking at stock? feels fairly powerful now but could use more lol. thanks... pat
Any mods and this is for a 89-5.7L right.

I would look about high 16s if its stock. The 350 TBI engines are rated to 210hp and 300 ft lbs of torque.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

It's bone stock and has been babied it's entire lifetime so far. SO with that kind of power, what can i expect to race and beet? Lol the classic fart can civic? And what should be my first mods to gain a little power?
Old 03-31-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 89-5.7Chevy
It's bone stock and has been babied it's entire lifetime so far. SO with that kind of power, what can i expect to race and beet? Lol the classic fart can civic? And what should be my first mods to gain a little power?
Ok, here we go. Throttle body spacers does nothing....I've owned two of them....two different brands and no difference. However, I would recommend an open element K&N assembly. Major difference over stock.

Next thing, exhaust. You need to open it up more. You can get shorty headers or long tubes....either one. The exhaust manifolds(stock) are so restrictive, you get a nice kick in the butt with either. Finish the rest of the exhaust after that with a nice single 3" or you can go duals....2.5" pipe size.

Next would be gears, 3.73s are a nice all around gear...good for hwy driving and performance. 4.10 in my opinion is more of a track gear.

Also, get you a shift kit in your tranny so that it will have a nice shift and get rid of the delay.

Anymore questions, just ask.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by YenkoST
Ok, here we go. Throttle body spacers does nothing....I've owned two of them....two different brands and no difference. However, I would recommend an open element K&N assembly. Major difference over stock.

Next thing, exhaust. You need to open it up more. You can get shorty headers or long tubes....either one. The exhaust manifolds(stock) are so restrictive, you get a nice kick in the butt with either. Finish the rest of the exhaust after that with a nice single 3" or you can go duals....2.5" pipe size.

Next would be gears, 3.73s are a nice all around gear...good for hwy driving and performance. 4.10 in my opinion is more of a track gear.

Also, get you a shift kit in your tranny so that it will have a nice shift and get rid of the delay.

Anymore questions, just ask.
Cool thanks for the advice man. Now i was alredy looking at the headers, and i can tell they're a monster problem. But i just amnaged to grab a ticket and my cash since i'm eightteen is limited. I'm looking at a k&N filtercharger (drop in replacement filter) as a temp for sound but also performance. Is it worth it? Oh, and i hate that shift delay!! As far as the actual exhaust off the cat's tho, i think it's already a three in into 2.5 inch duals outlets after the muffler. Should i keep of ditch that? I actually like the look of it.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

3" into 2.5" duals is fine for a stock engine. However, if its stock exhaust then its 3" into dual 2 1/4".

Just the K&N is not worth it. Save up your money and get the K&N open filter element. Its about $80. You will need a base opening of 5 1/8" and size, 14x3" should be plenty.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YenkoST
Throttle body spacers does nothing....I've owned two of them....two different brands and no difference.
my throttle body spacer did just as much or more for my '89 tbi 350 than my k&n, way more gain than the flowmaster catback. the only thing i noticed more of a gain on than the spacer was my hypertech chip. this is based smally on SOTP feel, but mainly on multiple run on same days with same car on same road (conditions nearly exactly the same every time).