Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Smaller Water Pump PUlley?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008 | 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Default Smaller Water Pump PUlley?

is there a way to get a smaller water pump pulley to clear a larger crank pulley? I'm trying to figure out how the pulley comes off. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 04-30-2008 | 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

nobody knows? i know moregrip is running a different water pump but i don't want to spend $500 just to get a smaller pulley.
Old 04-30-2008 | 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the water pump pulley doesnt come off...not that i know of atleast
Old 04-30-2008 | 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

it does come off but it is press fit. PITA!!!
Old 04-30-2008 | 07:24 PM
TECH Addict

hmmmmmmmmmm, it would probably cost me $500 for a new pulley and for someone to take the old one off, lol.
Old 04-30-2008 | 07:42 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I remember hearing of some guys mangling the wp pulley while trying to press it off, as mentioned it's supposedly a real PITA.
Old 05-01-2008 | 06:37 AM
Teching In

I thought I got back to you with this one. Sorry if I did not.

Try ASPracing. He can manufacture it or whatever pulley you want. He is doing my waterpump right now. So he knows what he's working with.

He was a bit particular about the water pump.. I had two choices. Ship him my own waterpump, which I did.(he takes off the old pulley and puts on the new one) charges about $100 or so for this. OR he told me he would purchase the waterpump and then take the pulley off and put on the new one (This of course costs a bit more because of the purchase). Talk to Lee Cooper.

This company has real fair prices for 8 rib set ups or whatever you want.
Old 05-01-2008 | 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rclnc
I thought I got back to you with this one. Sorry if I did not.

Try ASPracing. He can manufacture it or whatever pulley you want. He is doing my waterpump right now. So he knows what he's working with.

He was a bit particular about the water pump.. I had two choices. Ship him my own waterpump, which I did.(he takes off the old pulley and puts on the new one) charges about $100 or so for this. OR he told me he would purchase the waterpump and then take the pulley off and put on the new one (This of course costs a bit more because of the purchase). Talk to Lee Cooper.

This company has real fair prices for 8 rib set ups or whatever you want.

oh, ok thanks man. i think you did get back to me but this is way more detail. that rocks. i'm on it.
Old 05-01-2008 | 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Picking up the new water pump and shipping it today. Thanks again man. We're gonna make it 1" smaller than stock.

what should i do about idlers? I see guys using some 100mm ones. I need 3 right?
Old 05-01-2008 | 10:13 AM
Teching In

Two idlers.. if you are doing an 8 rib.

You can have ASP make them or you can use Metcos. ( I don't know what ASP's look like - but I know they can make billet aluminum or steel - for about the same price)

ASP looked at the two 100 mm Metcos I had and said they are wide enough to support an 8 rib. You are going to need a bushing for the Metco to sit on also. You can get this with David at Magnuson. You are also going to need a slightly longer bolt, you can get it from a local hardware store.

Don't go buying and sending anything without first calling him. ASPracing. Talk to Lee Cooper.

Quick Reply: Smaller Water Pump PUlley?