Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

so i called jesse today (w4me)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kw05silverado
ok thanks.. ooh and did i mention jesse told me that adding headers will make the truck run rich, so that i would lose mpg until he retunes it? is this true?
Unless you get coated headers. Get them coated and you won't have any problem. The coating will keep the o2's warm enough to read right. Otherwise, the heat will seap out of the headers making the o2's read leaner than what they should resulting in a rich condition.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
Jesse is a Quack... I've said it before and I'll say it again... I wish I had the log of my truck when I first hooked it up to HPT after he tuned it 4 or 5 times!!!!! it looked terrible. I had no power, and even worse gas mileage.... have it tuned in person.
I've seen logs too. At least yours didn't have enough timing.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:41 PM

Received 226 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Tootall
I'm running a shift kit with the stock stall, and the trans has over 120K miles on it. A lot of it has to do with the tune.

The guy that was talking about the shift kit . . . . he was just pissed that he was getting beat by an old guy, and that his truck was slow that night
hey now! i was happy about my truck the other night!

i dont like shiftkits in stock transmissions period. ive had stockers last me 35,000-50,000 miles running low 13's and driving like an idiot 24/7. just add a billet servo and wait for it to blow so you can get a built tranny with a shiftkit. wheatley will tell you the same thing. ive just noticed over the years that people install shiftkits thinking it will make the stocker last longer but it just ends up breaking hard parts instead of burning clutches. ofcorse thats because they install washers and bump line pressure so they can bark tires just letting off the brake idling to speed.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

wheately said the servo and shift kit will be alright bc he can tune it so it shift firm and not too hard.. neck breaking shifts kill trannys.. firm shifts are better for the tranny.. i might but i might not get a shift kit.. ill just keep the servo.. i mean will the shift kit help out a whole lot more? i dont kno too much about them?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:05 PM
Hunt&Fisherator

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kw05silverado
wheately said the servo and shift kit will be alright bc he can tune it so it shift firm and not too hard.. neck breaking shifts kill trannys.. firm shifts are better for the tranny.. i might but i might not get a shift kit.. ill just keep the servo.. i mean will the shift kit help out a whole lot more? i dont kno too much about them?
this shift kit will help alot IMO... I'd do it.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Flyer
Unless you get coated headers. Get them coated and you won't have any problem. The coating will keep the o2's warm enough to read right. Otherwise, the heat will seap out of the headers making the o2's read leaner than what they should resulting in a rich condition.
they are coated.. i called and asked.. texas speed performance.

but looks like im getting a good deal on a locker with gears and install kit.. now i have to choose between 373s or 410s.. i do a lot of hw driving.. and gas is pricey.. help me out guys.. thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just talked to my father inlaw and he know a lil about cars but not that much.. i asked him if i should get the headers or the gears .. he said get the headers bc tuned headers will give u a nice amount of power.(he use to own a 73 camaro with a 350 with some hooker headers)

i told him that if there were two trucks just like mine stock. one has the lts and ory and the other has the locker with 410s that the one with the gears will smoke it. does that sound right?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a stock truck people have knocked as much as 1 sec off their 1/4 mile time. The headers are better after you've gotten a tune and converter IMO.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

knocked off a sec.. by what? the gears or the headers and stall and tune?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Just the tune...

Quick Reply: so i called jesse today (w4me)