Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

So I had Pat G spec me a new cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They take about 4 times longer to get than what they will tell you. So keep that in mind if your timing the install.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
If you don't care about part throttle tq then that ought to be a decent cam.
Whys that? The cam I have now is bigger and low end torque is almost non existent lol.

Originally Posted by oakley6575
They take about 4 times longer to get than what they will tell you. So keep that in mind if your timing the install.
what takes 4 times longer? To receive the cam? Thats not that big of an issue. Not in too much of a hurry. The racing scene here is pretty much done until next winter. It to freakin hot here.

He spec'd the cam for a Procharger D1-SC running 12 lbs of boost.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yea it will be over a month at least from the time you order it. So it's good that your not in a rush.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Yea it will be over a month at least from the time you order it. So it's good that your not in a rush.
I recently ordered a 222/230 with LXL lobes direct from Comp Cams and it was at my door in about a week. They are not that slow. More than likely, the vendor that you're using is slow ordering it.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

well its a custom grind so Im sure it will take some time to get it once I order it. Pat G told me to go to EPS to order the cam.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by AndysC3
Whys that? The cam I have now is bigger and low end torque is almost non existent lol.

what takes 4 times longer? To receive the cam? Thats not that big of an issue. Not in too much of a hurry. The racing scene here is pretty much done until next winter. It to freakin hot here.

He spec'd the cam for a Procharger D1-SC running 12 lbs of boost.
Wide splits with wide LSAs have crappy midrange tq but pull well up top. Your deep gears, short tire, and high converter will mask most of that. The only time you may notice it is locked up going down the highway.
Originally Posted by AndysC3
well its a custom grind so Im sure it will take some time to get it once I order it. Pat G told me to go to EPS to order the cam.
Pat G has a deal worked out with EPS, I'm sure he gets a cut of each cam. Comp has some new lobes out that are really good and you can get them to grind your cam to the specs he gave you. No reason to wait on Geoff to screw around for a month or two before he finally orders your cam. I'd order through Texas speed, they've always delivered very quickly and taken care of me.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

hmm, What would you say the shift points should be with that cam? I dont want to shift higher than 6400 once the procharger goes on.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Wide splits with wide LSAs have crappy midrange tq but pull well up top. Your deep gears, short tire, and high converter will mask most of that. The only time you may notice it is locked up going down the highway.

Pat G has a deal worked out with EPS, I'm sure he gets a cut of each cam. Comp has some new lobes out that are really good and you can get them to grind your cam to the specs he gave you. No reason to wait on Geoff to screw around for a month or two before he finally orders your cam. I'd order through Texas speed, they've always delivered very quickly and taken care of me.
I was originally going to get an EPS cam until Geoff told me he was way behind on his ordering. I checked into Comp's LXL lobes and figured they were close, if not identical, to the EPS lobes. I called Comp and they told me they would have it finished within three days. I ordered it over the phone then and there using the same specs that I was going to order with EPS.

You can get it cheaper through a vendor. I didn't want to wait for that or take the chance that the order would get screwed up.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Addict

yea, looks like I can use the custom cam thing from texasspeed for that cam. started looking at the different durations. saw a 218/226 .598/.605 114LSA +2. looking for decent torque and shifting around 6400.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called Comp directly to order my custom ground cam just back in December of last year. From the day I placed the order with them to the time it arrived at my door was literally 4 days! No BS! I was very impressed and pleased.

Quick Reply: So I had Pat G spec me a new cam