Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

so... my crank pulley bolt came out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 03:33 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so... my crank pulley bolt came out.

went to go get the tranny fixed ( i have no 4th gear right now) and the truck would hardly budge in reverse or drive. popped the hood and found a big bolt laying in the skid plate.

at first i thought it had something to do with the CA's. upon further inspection i notice a hole were it looks a bolt should be in the crank pulley.

made some calls, found were i could get a pinning kit. now im just waiting on the call return as i type. ugh. now i have to get a ride to work.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

do you have a cam in it or did you reuse the stock bolt after a pully install these bolts can only be used once they are torque to yeild bolts once they have been torqued and loosend they can not be reused a new one is like $4 from the dealer if i remember right.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:43 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by ls1ow
do you have a cam in it or did you reuse the stock bolt after a pully install these bolts can only be used once they are torque to yeild bolts once they have been torqued and loosend they can not be reused a new one is like $4 from the dealer if i remember right.
nope, it just came out on its own. didnt change anything. kinda wierd. i was going to get a new one from the dealer, but i was talkin with someone, an he says that the crank wont hold another bolt again very well, so i should just get a pin kit for it.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

might aswell if you can, thats really weird ive never herd of that happening, to someone thats never messed with it. ive had plenty of friends with there f-bodys that that has happend to them after a cam install. good luck bro.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think thats BS. I dont think you need a pin kit. I highly doubt that your makin sooo much power that your spinning the crank pully on the crank. I had the same set up as you plus a 50 shot and it was just fine. I think all you need is a new crank pulley and a lil lock tight on it. I know that if you have ever had that bolt out then you have to use a new bolt or it will come out for sure. So I say new bolt and some lock tight.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:34 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 2toneblown
I think thats BS. I dont think you need a pin kit. I highly doubt that your makin sooo much power that your spinning the crank pully on the crank. I had the same set up as you plus a 50 shot and it was just fine. I think all you need is a new crank pulley and a lil lock tight on it. I know that if you have ever had that bolt out then you have to use a new bolt or it will come out for sure. So I say new bolt and some lock tight.

im going to buy the kit just so i know i wont have to wrry about it again. but thanks for your concern.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

holy crap!! i didnt know you had to put the new bolt in there i had just heard that i should get the longer metric one. nobody ever said once you take it out you cant reuse it! well if i made sure that i put it on really tight do you think it will come off? i used an impact on its highest setting and that should have put at least 250 ft lbs. ****!!!
Old 08-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Need More N2O Mod

I had mine back out and i was spinning the bolt. it was a new bolt too. I took it out and used a bunch of locktite and slapped it back in and it was fine. Since then i have a 408 and use the arp bolt.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had this happen on a 4 banger after 2nd t-belt at 180k. I guess it's a good practice to replace it every time. I didn't think Loctite was good for something that big.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:25 PM
11 Second Truck Club

i used some locktite and a good impact to get it back on

Quick Reply: so... my crank pulley bolt came out.