Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

so... my crank pulley bolt came out.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 07:27 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so this has happened to a few people.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Former Moderator :(

I have seen this happen on trucks that have had the balancer removed before for a cam swap or other work and it was not installed following GMs instructions. You must use a new bolt and follow the recomended tightening instructions or get a new ARP bolt and tighten it to like 200-250 foot lbs or what ever ARP recomends. The balancers that have never been off before seem to be OK If I were running more than 8 lbs of boost I would get the Magna Charger pinning kit and do it, its not hard to do if you follow the included instructions. All the corvette guys have to do this because they have aluminum balancers and they come loose real easy because of heat expansion..
Old 08-24-2005, 08:02 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2toneblown
I think thats BS. I dont think you need a pin kit. I highly doubt that your makin sooo much power that your spinning the crank pully on the crank. I had the same set up as you plus a 50 shot and it was just fine. I think all you need is a new crank pulley and a lil lock tight on it. I know that if you have ever had that bolt out then you have to use a new bolt or it will come out for sure. So I say new bolt and some lock tight.

First of all it has nothing to do with the power he is making, this is a semi-common problem on the LSX style motors. Second I would NEVER use loctite on the crank bolt once it is installed properly then it will be fine, if you use loctite then need to get it off in 3 months for something it will be a pain in the ***. Third, He needs a crank pin kit.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

i agree with blown chevy dont use a ton of loctite, new bolt installed properly and a pin kit to easy your mind and youll be good to go.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never said a ton of lock tight. I said a little. Its just a little insurance. It is a common problem on the LSX motors and I use to do a cam swap about once a day when I owned my own shop, which requires pulling the crank bolt out. I never once had a problem when a new one was used, but did have a few problems when the customer was too cheap or too impatiant to get a new one, whether the customer was making alot or next to none. So that is just from my person experience.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine lost the crank pulley,I was lucky enough to be close to a friend's muffler shop.That was about 2 years ago.I was one of the first to go with the crank pinning kit and highly recommend using the kit.It's complete and easy to use,if you have access to a lift..
Old 08-25-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Dude! That sucks! Damn, I didn't do it! I can give you a ride, but you have to go in at 6:15am.

The only thing I can think of is a previous service by the previous owner. Maybe some jackass mechanic had to remove it and didn't install in properly.

Did you pull the pulley off yet? The crank may be a little chewed up. My bet is it is given the SC and all. In which case you'll NEED a crank pin kit. Also check to make sure the outer ring, where the belt rids is still secure with the inner hub. There's rubber in between the two and they like to separate here in AZ. It's just a good time to check that since its off.

I'd let you have my pulley puller, but freakin' Mr. 6.0, desTRUCKtive, is still borrowing it.

I'm going to check mine tomorrow morning! I did my cam swap over a year ago...so who knows what my bolt/pulley is like.

Also, the GM and every other cam swap/balancer instructions I've read says not to use loc-tite. The reason I say you shouldn't is because that 250ft-lb figure is dry. No loc-tite or lubrication whatsoever. Any lubricant on those threads will distort the torque reading of the bolt. Pretend for a moment that GM's engineers actually know what they're doing. It's just like how a lot of engine builders read rod bolt stretch and not torque. The threads are lubricated so its hard to get an accurate reading.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:50 AM
14 Second Truck Club

well i talked to Blown364 and hes gonna get me straight with a pin kit. luckily my boss only live a few streets away from me so hes able to give me a ride for the time being.

i tried calling you today Todd!
Old 08-25-2005, 05:09 AM
Teching In

Does anyone happen to know the GM part # for that bolt??
Old 08-25-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by onyx

i tried calling you today Todd!

Umm.....didn't get it. Geez, I'm so freakin' tired of Verizon!
Let me know how it goes, I'm curious to see what the crank snout looks like.

Quick Reply: so... my crank pulley bolt came out.