Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Soft start controller for e-fans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.dccontrol.com/techwrk.htm yeh I dig this controller.

But as BlackGMC says, delay in the software would be helpful, but you still need some sort of controller for fan "speed" wouldn't you? Just cuz you command a soft start, something is still needed to "bleed" the line voltage on I'd think.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is what I was looking for..

Factory efan operation parameters inside

Originally Posted by moregrip
found this on another site, good info:

enjoy!

"The engine cooling fan system consists of 2 electrical cooling fans and 3 fan relays. The relays are arranged in a series/parallel configuration that allows the powertrain control module (PCM) to operate both fans together at low or high speeds. The cooling fans and fan relays receive battery positive voltage from the underhood fuse block.

During low speed operation, the PCM supplies the ground path for the low speed fan relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the low speed fan relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and supplies battery positive voltage from the low fan fuse through the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the left cooling fan. The ground path for the left cooling fan is through the cooling fan s/p relay and the right cooling fan. The result is a series circuit with both fans running at low speed.

During high speed operation the PCM supplies the ground path for the low speed fan relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. After a 3 second delay, the PCM supplies a ground path for the high speed fan relay and the cooling fan s/p relay through the high speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan s/p relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and provides a ground path for the left cooling fan. At the same time the high speed fan relay coil is energized closing the relay contacts and provides battery positive voltage from the high fan fuse on the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the right cooling fan. During high speed fan operation, both engine cooling fans have there own ground path. The result is a parallel circuit with both fans running at high speed.

Important: The right and left cooling fan connectors are interchangeable. When servicing the fans be sure that the connectors are plugged into the correct fan.

The PCM commands the low speed cooling fans ON under the following conditions:

• Engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 94.5°C (202°F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1447 kPa (210 psi).

• After the vehicle is shut OFF if the engine coolant temperature at key-off is greater than 101°C (214°F) the low speed fans will run for a minimum of 60 seconds After 60 seconds, if the coolant temperature drops below 101°C (214°F) the fans will shut OFF. The fans will automatically shut OFF after 3 min. regardless of coolant temperature.

The PCM commands the high speed fans ON under the following conditions:

• Engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 104.25°C (220°F).

• A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds approximately 1824 kPa (265 psi).

• When certain DTCs set.

At idle and very low vehicle speeds the cooling fans are only allowed to increase in speed if required. This insures idle stability by preventing the fans from cycling between high and low speed."
Old 01-15-2007, 03:30 PM
High on diesel fumes

Great info guys. Hopefully we can uncover something that will help a lot of people out - I know that I have read several threads before with many unhappy people due to high fan startup loads, especially during the summer. That is the main reason I went back to a clutch fan.

If I can figure out how the stock fans work (in regards to the 3-wire plug) I will be buying another set and getting one of those Delta Controllers. Hopefully that will solve the problem.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Resident Retard

What is a 3-wire plug?
Old 01-15-2007, 03:34 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
What is a 3-wire plug?
The plug on the fan motor has three wires. I need to find out if it's 2 input wires and one ground, or two grounds and one input, or something else.....
Old 01-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Resident Retard

here are some interesting article.

Scroll down until the diode part
http://www.geocities.com/smithmonte/...rkVIII_Fan.htm
Old 01-15-2007, 04:15 PM
High on diesel fumes

That site is over the bandwidth right now, I'll have to check it out later. Can someone confirm if this is how the factory e-fan system works?

When fans are on low:
Low speed relay is energized (closed) by PCM activating ground.
S/P relay is open - this leaves the (-) wire from the left fan connected to the (+) in (1) wire on the right fan, creating a series system.
High speed relay is open

When fans switch to high:
PCM activates ground for the low speed relay, spinning both fans up to low speed
After 3 seconds, PCM also activates ground for s/p relay and High relay. Closing the s/p relay does two things: 1) disconnects the (-) from the left fan from the (+) on the right fan, and 2) connects the (-) from the left fan to ground, allowing the left fan to spin up to full speed
Closing the high speed relay feeds the right fan it's own dedicated 12v source, allowing it to spin up to full speed as well. This acts as a parallel system with both fans having their own power source and ground.

Does this sound right? Anyone know for sure?

Old 01-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Resident Retard

pm bigredexpress99, he has the factory wiring diagram for the 05 efans. I remember seeing on a thread awhile back.

Nevermind I found it.

Since you need the 3 second delay, and on the newer PCM they are software controled, you could a Time-Delayed relay to simulate the software driven part.

Here is a link to an example, it is only a .1-1sec delay but I am sure there are others.
Time Delay Relay

I have a major in Software Engineering and a minor in Electrical Engineering, if you want the schematic on how to make one, I can probably find one. If you wanted to make one yourself.

Last edited by BlackGMC; 01-15-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am also interested in this. with my headlights on and both fans on high, i am right at 12 volts. that is with my truck idling at 675 rpm's. i was thinking about a delay box a couple of days ago.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:06 PM
High on diesel fumes

Looks like I might end with a set of fans to play with here in the next couple of weeks. I'll see what I can do with them. BlackGMC, I may take you up on your offer, let me get things together and I'll let you know.

Quick Reply: Soft start controller for e-fans?