Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Soft start controller for e-fans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

i have been using the dc controller for three years now on different vehicles. it will start the fans at about 10% and slowly work its way up. when the a/c comes on they go to 50% but it is not instant. the current draw hardly ever spikes at all. i also got the voltage sensing light so i can tell how much they are on. also i put in a a/c condensor sensor from madenterprise.com. when i start cruising it will cut the signal from the a/c. so when i am going down the road the fans never come on.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:43 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ONE04FX4
i have been using the dc controller for three years now on different vehicles. it will start the fans at about 10% and slowly work its way up. when the a/c comes on they go to 50% but it is not instant. the current draw hardly ever spikes at all. i also got the voltage sensing light so i can tell how much they are on. also i put in a a/c condensor sensor from madenterprise.com. when i start cruising it will cut the signal from the a/c. so when i am going down the road the fans never come on.
If this doesn't work out the way I want it to I'll be ordering a DCC as well.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:35 PM
High on diesel fumes

Just got my DEI relays in. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to see what kind of trouble I can cause with them.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:53 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

So you went ahead and got the delay-relay?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I never got around to it but once thought about trying the relay in the Painless kit.

Part# 30106
Fan Relay w/thermostat - Gen III

Designed specifically for all GM Gen III engines as inexpensive protection for your electric fan. Provides constant voltage, protects from voltage and amperage spikes and keeps fan from back feeding through the system. The kit comes complete with GM Gen III thermostat, 30 AMP relay, 30 AMP circuit protector and all mounting hardware.

Weatherproof Gen III Kit Available part # 30127
Old 01-27-2007, 01:19 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
So you went ahead and got the delay-relay?
Yeah, I messed with it a little last night. It will only trigger on a + pulse (when the + signal is removed), not on + constant apply. It will trigger on a (-) apply and/or pulse. I can put another relay in to change the a/c signal from a + to a - but I'm not sure if I want to use 5 relays to get the job done.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:20 PM
High on diesel fumes

Originally Posted by KySilverado
I never got around to it but once thought about trying the relay in the Painless kit.

Part# 30106
Fan Relay w/thermostat - Gen III

Designed specifically for all GM Gen III engines as inexpensive protection for your electric fan. Provides constant voltage, protects from voltage and amperage spikes and keeps fan from back feeding through the system. The kit comes complete with GM Gen III thermostat, 30 AMP relay, 30 AMP circuit protector and all mounting hardware.

Weatherproof Gen III Kit Available part # 30127
Interesting - I wonder how their system works?
Old 01-27-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the DCControler http://www.dccontrol.com/ to control my Transmission fans.
Works great
Old 01-27-2007, 03:03 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Yeah, I messed with it a little last night. It will only trigger on a + pulse (when the + signal is removed), not on + constant apply. It will trigger on a (-) apply and/or pulse. I can put another relay in to change the a/c signal from a + to a - but I'm not sure if I want to use 5 relays to get the job done.
Were you just putting the relay inline from the AC wire?

When the AC turns on it has a 12V correct, but when it is off does it go to ground?

From what I read it should trigger from a 12V or Ground or a change from 12V->Ground or Ground -<12V
Old 01-27-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thunder550
Interesting - I wonder how their system works?
I don't know exactly. I tried zooming in on pictures once upon a time and got the maker and part number. Didn't want to buy the whole kit but couldn't find just the one component. The voltage stabilizer thingy. Has to be some type of capacitor?

Quick Reply: Soft start controller for e-fans?